Question about 12 gauge wire

Hello,

I have some extra 12-2 UF-B wire left over from a project and was wondering if there are any drawbacks from using this to run some circuits inside my home.

Thanks, J

Reply to
Jeff

dont use it in an application that calls for wire thicker than that.. but you can use it to replace wire that is thinner than the 12 gauge... remember that the fuse will protest the wires from burning/melting....so dont put in bigger fuses thinking that gee i have 12 ga. wire (but not all of the circuit is 12 gauge) only the part you are putting in.....

Reply to
jim

Works great. Costs more, but since it's surplus, who cares?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

None, as long as you properly protect the circuit. If you are using it to replace a larger wire, dont. IF you are using it to replace a smaller wire, downsize the breaker or fuse that protects it.

Reply to
CBHvac

It is a real pain to strip the insulation off of UF cable to make your connections. So if you will have a lot of connections to make then, if it were me, I would save the UF for another outdoor project and get standard cable for indoors. Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 14:17:30 GMT, "Kevin Ricks" wrote (with possible editing):

Ditto. FWIW, though, Ideal makes a tool designed to strip UF. I have one and can tell you it's a lot easier, if still not as easy as regular Romex.

-- Larry snipped-for-privacy@lmr.com

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport