quartz vs granite counter tops

Chris Lewis wrote: ....

Aside from the tests already mentioned, you can drop a lit match on Silestone, let it burn, and it won't hurt the countertop at all. All you have to do is wipe off combustion residue from the match.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

According to Nexus7 :

Hardness isn't really an issue. Heat resistance is.

According to my research, epoxy-bonded silestone (and Zodiaq) are relatively heat resistant - better than corian or plastic laminate - but the epoxies will burn or discolor if hot enough.

However, I get the impression that silestone and zodiaq are repairable to a certain extent, and we don't put hot pots on counters anyway.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Yes, I've seen test results that show no effect of placing lit cigarettes on these engineered countertops, vs staining for granite. These are on manufacturer sites, so take it FWIW.

Reply to
Nexus7

Actually, I've done this myself many times. I don't have to take the manufacturer's word for it. It's no problem.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

Yep....words to live by :)

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

What is the lemon test? Also, how different is a sample from the actual slab of granite? I've heard of people going to the quarry and picking their own slab which is why I ask this.

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie G

Um, if you were keeping up with this thread, you'd see that I did test it with extremely hot pans. (Again, no problem)

Reply to
yellowbirddog

The heat-resistance specification for silestone is as follows:

"Silestone is heat resistant up to 200°C. It is recommended for use in splashbacks and around stove tops. It is NOT, however recommended that hot pans or pots be placed directly on the Silestone surface."

FWIW, that translates to around 400°F.

Reply to
Goedjn

You think this is an adequate simulation of placing a 500F+ pot on it?

It isn't.

Epoxy isn't heat proof. In fact, most break down well below 500F.

The amount of heat that a lit match produces could well be adequately dissipated by the quartz to keep the binder below breakdown temperature. But I certainly expect that not to be true with something considerably larger.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

The "lemon juice test" is dripping a few drops (or more than a few drops) on the sample. If it quickly develops dark spots under the drops, it's very absorbent, and probably unsuitable for a kitchen countertop. If it takes a minute or more to be absorbed, then you can probably make it work with a decent sealer / impregnator. If it isn't absorbed at all, then you're golden. This is all stolen heavily from

, BTW. The findstone forums are an interesting read if you're coming up to speed on choosing a "granite".

Samples should be from the same vein (and preferably the same slab) as what you're going to be using, but it's going to depend on the supplier.

Reply to
Andy Hill