Quartz Space Heater

Page 10 of 11

let me tell you about my girl...
She was gonna be my wife And I was gonna be her man But she let another guy come between us And it ruined our plan....
--
Respectfully, Bob

My PV panels convert some light into electricity and produce no heat for those energy units.
Light is not heat and not necessarily converted to heat. What you feel from the sun is infrared electromagnetic radiation (arguably a form of light). You cannot feel the light from the sun.

Solar Flare writes:

Nonsense. What you feel from the sun is a broad spectrum from IR to visible to UV that is converts to heat when absorbed by your tissues. Visible light is just as sensible as infrared, as heating upon absorption.
Infrared and visible EM are alike in regards to heating. Infrared is not "radiant heat", although it radiates and converts to heat upon absorption, but it is no different from visible light in that regard.
"Radiant heat" is a non-scientific concept, although it at least phenomenologically descriptive. The idea that infrared is somehow different from visible light in regards to "radiant heat" is a pure fallacy.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Bingo.
On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 00:24:46 -0500, "Solar Flare"

I don't know much about PV panels, but I do know that 100% efficiency doesn't exist. I do remember hearing that PV devices were at most about 10% efficient. What is the waste product?

Which explains why I wouldn't say that it is.

Do you have any specific information on what happens to it, then?

Strange, and almost certainly false. Light (apparently "visible light" here) and Infrared are both EM radiation, and very similar. Infrared is just slightly lower in frequency (like ultraviolet is on the other side of the visible spectrum).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Solar Flare wrote:

Ever seen one of these?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer

I own one.

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 23:55:06 -0500, "Solar Flare"

So you know why the vanes turn then?
What happens when you put it in the freezer?
Joe Fischer
Yeah, it turns due to the reflected photons (in theory since photons are on therom anyway). The spindle turns towards the black faces and away from the white ones in light.

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 22:01:17 -0500, "Solar Flare"

Sorry, that is incorrect, while it is possible to make a radiometer that turns from reflected photons like a solar sail is supposed to accelerate due to radiation pressure of reflected photons, the Crook's radiometer works because the black side gets warm and the gas press in the thing is low enough the mean free path is long enough to allow the molecules to bounce off the black side with more energy than they had before bouncing.

Wrong, if you would have tried it in the freezer, it will turn towards the black faces and away from the white ones in the dark for a little while until the vanes cool off.
But in light, it turns toward the white faces due to the black side heating the gas molecules.
All you have to do is LOOK, and PAY ATTENTION, instead of just assuming, and that gives you first hand knowledge that will help more than reading books.
Joe Fischer
Obviously you are just a troll (we already knew that) or just plain stupid enough to lie about it.

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 22:36:09 -0500, "Solar Flare"

Obviously you are too stupid and egotistical to take just a second and LOOK at it (and apologize).
Joe Fischer
Hi Solar;
Solar Flare wrote:
> Yeah, it turns due to the reflected photons (in > theory since photons are on theorem anyway).
In theory yes, if the vacuum is total as in space.
> The spindle turns towards the black faces and > away from the white ones in light.
However, the standard Crooks Radiometer has a partial vacuum. The vanes turn much faster than if there was a total vacuum and they advance away from the black side. The black side is hotter than the white or silvered side. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer#Thermodynamic_explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer#Explanations_for_the_force_on_the_vanes
Duane
--
Home of the $35 Solar Tracker Receiver
http://www.redrok.com/led3xassm.htm [*]

Solar Flare wrote:

But light converts to heat.

I hope you're kidding. Of course sound energy converts to heat, too.

Perhaps it is you who should go back to school.

The magic word "convert"
Now you were saying about light is heat is sound is vibration is friction is kinetic is power?
How many pizzas in a BTU/hr?

posted for all of us...

So many questions. So many answers. So little time...

Mike wrote:

What's wrong with the regular heating system?

very
The question would be...
What's a regular heating system?
What may be considered regular to you, is abnormal to someone in another location.

Camel dung..