Quartz Space Heater

A minor correction to my diatribe, above: I meant to say that it doesn't cost a dime EXTRA to do all the other stuff. You're still heating your home with electricity. You're just using things other than the furnace to do it.

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

But what's regular?

Fuel type... Gas, Oil, Electric, Kerosene, Waste Oil, Wood, Corn, Wood pellets???

What type of heat? Forced Air, Hydronic, Heat Pump (Geo or Air source), Radiant, Convection, etc???

Which is regular?

Regular is like saying NORMAL. What's normal?

Reply to
<kjpro

Of course it does. If the refrigerator is consuming an average of 500W it delivers an average of 500W. That&#39;s just basic physics.

There is a "cool" exception, but this was not included in the original question.

During the heating season take liquid tap water in a container, freeze it in the freezer, and throw the resultant ice out doors.

In addition to the power needed to run the refrigerator you will have extracted some of the heat in the water.

Cool huh!

Duane

Reply to
Duane C. Johnson

Of course it does. If the refrigerator is consuming an average of 500W it delivers an average of 500W. That&#39;s just basic physics.

There is a "cool" exception, but this was not included in the original question.

During the heating season take liquid tap water in a container, freeze it in the freezer, and throw the resultant ice out doors.

In addition to the power needed to run the refrigerator you will have extracted some of the heat in the water.

Cool huh!

Duane

Reply to
Duane C. Johnson

Normal is just the regular system. duh! ;-)

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

:-)

Reply to
<kjpro

Yes.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

posted for all of us...

So many questions. So many answers. So little time...

Reply to
Tekkie®

posted for all of us...

The one that uses fiber? Like a previous post said.

Reply to
Tekkie®

It doesn&#39;t cost more in all areas of the world.

In FACT, a natural gas fired, forced air furnace cost more to run than straight electric heat last year.

Now just think of the savings they could have had with a heat pump!

Reply to
<kjpro

Consumed electric is consumed electric, no matter how you use it.

A watt is a watt, just as a BTU is a BTU...

Reply to
<kjpro

The one I asked...

You better think again...

Nothing is being wasted. The energy is being transferred to the room no matter which poroduct you wish to use.

A watt is a watt... there is no getting around that.

Reply to
<kjpro

I just sent you an IM.

Reply to
<kjpro

True. I&#39;m speaking in conventional terms in the US. Obviously, YMMV.

Depends on where you live in the country. While my figgerin&#39; could be wrong, at around $0.08/kwh, (Chicago area), I calculated that natural gas would need to be in the ballpark of $2 per therm in order for electricity to be competitive.

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

You&#39;re correct, and natural was up to over $2.50 a therm last winter.

So input that into a 80% furnace and we have trouble.

Reply to
<kjpro

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@newsgroups.comcast.net...

[snip]

While my memory is not flawless, I don&#39;t recall my rate getting much over $1.25/therm last winter. (and I already factored in the typical

80% efficiency rating).

FWIW, I did some more figgerin&#39; and came up with $1.92 as the break even point at $.08/kwh, assuming 80% efficiency (this is all exclusive of delivery charges, taxes, etc.). I understand that electricity prices in other major metropolitan markets are about double mine, so the break even price would be closer to $4.00/therm there. The bottom line is that, barring any major technological breakthroughs in electricity production, it&#39;s not likely that electricity will be cheaper than gas as a source of residential heat anytime soon.

Reply to
ls1mike

The installed whole house heating system, don&#39;t matter which kind.

Reply to
Snap Whipcrack..............

horseshit. try paying $.24/kw for electricity. lets see....we burn natural gas to produce electricity.....and electricity is cheaper? LOL too funny.

Reply to
gofish

On Jan 29, 9:01 am, snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote: [snip]

Kind of reminds me of a local grocery chain that used to differentiate themselves from their competitors a few years ago by saying that their &#39;gound beef&#39; was actually ground &#39;steak&#39;. I often wondered where the economic sense was in taking the steak that they were selling for $3+ per lb, expending the extra labor to grind it, only to sell it for under $1 per lb.

Of course, the heat generated by the grinder probably offset their cost to heat the store (just trying to stay on topic ;-)

Reply to
ls1mike

We&#39;re currently at $.052 /kwh up here.

Jeffrey Lebowski