Quartz Countertop Thickness

Both Silestone and Zodiac engineered quartz countertops are offered in

2 cm and 3 cm thicknesses. I inquired at both manufacturers about the advantage of having the thicker product other than appearance. I just received an answer from a representative at Dupont (Zodiac) and the answer was:

"Thank you for your interest in Zodiaq® quartz surfaces. Please visit your local kitchen designer at your Zodiaq® Retailer to help you create a kitchen to meet your individual style. Their Zodiaq installer/fabricator can explain which thickness would best suit your design."

I consider this to be an evasive answer. I haven't heard yet from Silestone. If the product is mounted on a stable base, why should I spend the extra money for the thicker countertop?

bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth' to send me a message.

Bill Burlingame

Reply to
William J. Burlingame

The 3 cm material is a little stronger, heavier and more expensive. And you can create a reasonable edge when you have 3cm to work with.

With 2 cm material, it's normal to laminate a second layer on the edge so you can create a 4cm bullnose (or similar) edge finish. This looks nice if done well and the the bullnose can overhang so that it nicely covers the tops of the cabinets and any plywood.

However, the lamination work is labor intensive and hence costly. This pretty much wipes out the cost advantage of the

2cm material.

Having said that, the 2cm (with laminated edge) tends to work out best for remodels -- the overhanging bullnose will cover any minor imperfections in the tops of the cabs.

I understand there is a regional factor at play too. Apparently, 3cm is more popular in the East of the country -- 2cm in the West.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

I've always understood it to just be appearance of the edge.

That is quite rude to send your spam to stan's bs.net domain.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

I've been using this as a spam blocker for several years. When I started, the domain was not in use. Do you mean there is a wjburl at bs.net? If not, doesn't the spam go to bit bucket? When I went to bs.net, I saw an online university site. On line universities are notorious for sending spam. A Google search didn't produce any other sites with that domain.