Quality & Price check on AC equipment and install

I have the following quotes for an AC install on our *two* forced air heating units and wanted to sanity check it for quality of equipment and pricing. Location is New England and there are no significant pipe routing or equipment location issues.
The quotes includes all installation (condenser, pad, refrigeration lines, condensate removal) and equipment *except* for evaporator/coil (already installed) and electrical (to be done by electrician).
Quote A: $5400 - (1) 13/14 SEER Lennox model HS26-030 - 2.5 Ton - (1) 13/14 SEER Lennox model HS26-042 - 3.5 Ton
Quote B: $5370 - (1) 12 SEER American Standard, model 2A7A2030A - 2.5 Ton - (1) 12 SEER American Standard, model 2A7A2042A - 3.5 Ton
Which is better? Is the costing reasonable for equipment and installation (as above)?
Thanks, Jeff

This is Turtle.
I could not say as to price for it being the upper states but they do seem a little pricey to me. Here in Louisiana I would not be able to get those prices. Here it would have to be a 15 or 16 seer to try to get up to that price here. The Upper states always get more than here.
Now the most or only biggest thing that I would look at is the installer being of a good installer and everything to a Tee installed. The installer can make you or break you by how he installs it. Look at the installer very closely as to doing a good job and also a real good job for that kind of money.
TURTLE

As far as sanity goes, you are CRAZY if you don't get at least THREE quotes....

American Standard is re-labeled Trane equipment (or is it the other way around?). Lennox has a lot of proprietary parts that are high priced after the warranty has expired.
I wouldn't do it for that price. I'd charge more.
If you spend a significant amount of money on cooling why dont you look into even higher efficiency units 12 seer is not efficient compared to 16-19 seer units. Electricity is going up and as it does your payback will be shorter. You will be living with that new unit for 15 yrs+

he lives in new england, probably only cools 2 months out of the year heh.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------030000020702010800090302 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
In That northern climate, I would price shop until hell freezes over! Your cooling season is short in the north! Do not let them oversize the A/C system.
--
Shooting Skills - Leading Moving Targets - Ballistic lead Charts
http://www.udarrell.com/hunting_shooting_ballistics_frames.htm

Hey Jeffy, did either of the bidders do the calcs? Doesn't look like it. Theow them out and get somebody good.
--
Tekkie

Both quotes were from same company... They appear to have done some rough square footage calcs. What should they be doing?
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky posted for all of us....

The HVAC guys will tell you Manual J & D they will measure insulation, windows, siting, everything affecting heat/cool
--
Tekkie

You will not get those seers if you swap out half your system and keep the inside system unless they match perfectly.