Quality of newer furnaces

My friend recently had his utility gas company over to inspect his 30 year old furnace and was asking about the 80+ and 90+ AFUE furnaces as a replacement. The inspector told him he has seen nothing but problems with these new furnaces - Keep your old one and upgrade the insulation etc. Anyone have experiences to confirm this?

Reply to
Martik

Uhhh, would they be the ones selling him the gas??? DUH.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Agreed...its like when you call the OIL company to come service your OIL furnace...

Stupid.

Reply to
CBhvac

And it is this utility company that is constantly offering me thousands in rebates to upgrade to the 90+AFUE furnace, CFL bulbs, fridge buybacks etc. No, I think the inspector was offering his honest opinion. FYI, the utility makes the same amount of money no matter how much fuel it sells. The formula per unit of fuel is Cost of service / anticipated volume

Reply to
Martik

Had my heating/AC guy come in and service my Lennox Gas Pulse furnace and did a check on the efficiency with his new tester. My extinct furnace came in at 97.6% after stabilizing. All the 90+ came in at about 88%. If you look around you might get lucky and find one sitting in some heating distributor's warehouse.

-- Mike D.

Remove .spamnot to respond by email

Reply to
Mike Dobony

You DO know what track record the Pulse has?

Also...in the right hands, (or wrong..as the case may be) a tester can read

99% efficent....just so you know... IF your unit is reading that high (its not really) then I know someone at Lennox that wants to see it..

Reply to
CBhvac