Quality of newer furnaces

My friend recently had his utility gas company over to inspect his 30 year old furnace and was asking about the 80+ and 90+ AFUE furnaces as a replacement. The inspector told him he has seen nothing but problems with these new furnaces - Keep your old one and upgrade the insulation etc. Anyone have experiences to confirm this?
On 13 Jan 2004, Martik wrote:

Uhhh, would they be the ones selling him the gas??? DUH.

Agreed...its like when you call the OIL company to come service your OIL furnace...
Stupid.

message

And it is this utility company that is constantly offering me thousands in rebates to upgrade to the 90+AFUE furnace, CFL bulbs, fridge buybacks etc. No, I think the inspector was offering his honest opinion. FYI, the utility makes the same amount of money no matter how much fuel it sells. The formula per unit of fuel is Cost of service / anticipated volume

Had my heating/AC guy come in and service my Lennox Gas Pulse furnace and did a check on the efficiency with his new tester. My extinct furnace came in at 97.6% after stabilizing. All the 90+ came in at about 88%. If you look around you might get lucky and find one sitting in some heating distributor's warehouse.
-- Mike D.
www.stopassaultnow.org
Remove .spamnot to respond by email

year
with
came
You DO know what track record the Pulse has?
Also...in the right hands, (or wrong..as the case may be) a tester can read 99% efficent....just so you know... IF your unit is reading that high (its not really) then I know someone at Lennox that wants to see it..