Q spraying contact adhesive

I didn't want to buy a sprayer and tank of adhesive to put down laminate for a counter top Has anyone used a quart paint spray gun to apply the contact adhesive instead of rolling it on Would the same spray tips work or a larger one be needed.Any thoughts from someone who works in a top shop would be appreciated. CC

I don't fit the last criterion, but for "a" counter top I'd not even consider the logistics of spraying contact cement -- by the time you're set up and got it working, you'd be done w/ the roller, and then you still have cleanup to go. Plus, unless you're building the cabinet in the shop and have containment of overspray and mist, you've got to cover everything else and mask the wall behind, etc., to control the overspray. Just not worth the effort, imo.
What's the incentive to spray instead of roll other than a desire/ curiousity to do so?

I work in a shop building custom closets and we occasionally make tops and we spray the contact cement with a pressurized bottle of glue and a spray gun, We use cardboard to collect the overspray, Have found it to be a good solution and not really a lot of waste, but it is expensive and I did not want to put that amount of money into something for using at home if a paint type spray gun would work
cc
On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 02:45:03 GMT, "CC"

at the shop?

Why don't you want to roll it with some thing like this?
http://www.ravsupply.com/home/rs1/page_360/contact_cement_roller_cover.html
I see spraying making quite a mess with a ton of waste.
Also, how are you going to handle the fumes? The flammable stuff is well flammable and the nonflammable stuff I think is toxic.

As some one who works in cabinents don,t spray less you have a booth to contain it and don,t light a match if you enjoy life . Use a roller much better

Thanks jim, as far as fumes, I have plenty of ventilation but was hopeing for a cheaper way to spray it on versus using a roller. CC

Cliff Hartle wrote:

be. i bought a gallon from granger about 8 years ago. works ok.

There are several available but as far as I know, MSDS for them all indicate either active ventilation or respiratory protection. Don't think any are really highly toxic or carcinogenic, but spraying in open environment wouldn't be a wise operation, even for the water- based. (And, as noted before, I can't even imagine the mess to clean up afterwards.)
Thanks for

Thanks for all the thoughts. I may go ahead and try to use my spray gun, I'll check with my local paint supplier and see if they have some advise on a nozzle to try and see if it works. have a cheap gun that I haven't used and will advise here how it went. CC
that I don't use and
CC wrote:

just find. you must be doing a lot of sq ft to think about a sprayer.

Soon as weather warms up I want to begin making new cabinets and counter tops for kitchen along two walls, and also make a craft center for wife with cabinets and counter top in spare bedroom. I expect to be doing a lot of laminate work for this project. CC