Q: kitchen faucet recommendation

I have to replace a broken (leaking) kitchen faucet. It is a Price Pfister 1-hole single-handle pullout spray model. The plumber is telling me that the way it is leaking he won't be able to fix it.
So I need some advice as to what brand/model/configuration faucet I should get. Is there a web site that provides ratings and reviews of different brands and models?
Quality/Reliability is really important, as I don't want to have to deal with the same problem 2 years down the road. Otherwise, a no frills faucet will work for me. The 1-hole single-handle pullout spray kind I have now would be just fine.
The plumber says that the faucet brand that he carries in his van and uses (if the customer doesn't insist on using their own) is Wolverine Brass. He recommends WB, and says it has a good warranty (2 years) on parts. But he isn't trying really hard to push it on me, he says "go to Home Depot, see if you can find a different one you like, and I will install it for you." That sounds pretty fair.
BTW, I've looked online and it seems like some Price Pfister faucets come with a _lifetime_ warranty, so, other things being equal, it looks like a much better deal than Wolverine Brass.
TIA for any tips and advice.
Bubba
Get yourself a Moen faucet and be happy for a very long time. Great products, and the service (if you ever need it) is beyond excellent. www.moen.com
I just got one from this series: http://www.moen.com/browsecatalog/productcatalog/product_suites_listing.cfm?suiteRefnoB1
Think carefully about how you use your current faucet. For instance, when I'm working in the sink and the spout's in my way, I push sideways, near the end where the water comes out. If I had gotten this model.... http://www.moen.com/browsecatalog/productcatalog/configurator.cfm?skurefno "4919
.....I think the pullout section would get knocked off when I shove the spout to the side. So, I got this one instead: http://www.moen.com/browsecatalog/productcatalog/configurator.cfm?skurefno !0567
In my previous house, I had 3 Moen products. At one point, the shower faucet was damaged by particles coming from a defective water heater. I called Moen to get part numbers so I could be sure of buying the right thing at the store. They insisted on sending me the parts for free, even though the problem was unrelated to their product. I'm sold forever on their products.
plumbers around here dont fix faucets they just replace them. I would check and see what the parts cost before replacing the faucet.
A plumber condemmened my delta faucet since the spray hose wouldnt work, next day I replaced the diverter valve $8 and its worked fine since, over a year.
plumbers dont want low price repairs risking a free call back, so they frequently replace everything, based on a business decision
plumbers around here dont fix faucets they just replace them. I would check and see what the parts cost before replacing the faucet.
A plumber condemmened my delta faucet since the spray hose wouldnt work, next day I replaced the diverter valve $8 and its worked fine since, over a year.
plumbers dont want low price repairs risking a free call back, so they frequently replace everything, based on a business decision
plumbers around here dont fix faucets they just replace them. I would check and see what the parts cost before replacing the faucet.
A plumber condemmened my delta faucet since the spray hose wouldnt work, next day I replaced the diverter valve $8 and its worked fine since, over a year.
plumbers dont want low price repairs risking a free call back, so they frequently replace everything, based on a business decision
I second that. Plumbers do not want to repair faucets. They just want to throw in a new one. Try to repair it. Most of them are readily fixable. Some have lifetime warranties, like the Moen.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
[...]
I agree with the advice to check out what exactly is leaking. If that is the only problem and its in otherwise good shape, almost all leaks can be fixed with some inexpensive parts.
For a new faucet, I have the Moen Extensa, which HD carries, single hole pull out faucet, which IMO is the only way to go. Had it about 5 years now and very happy with it, except that for some reason, the plastic on the head has turned a slightly different shade of white as compared to the base.
A word of "advice" on the lifetime warranty on faucets.
How many people keep their receipts and all the added nonsense you need to make your "warranty claim." Seven years down the road????
Number two, you have to pull out the faucet, send it back to the manufactuerer and wait, without a faucet in the sink, until the maker decides to honor the warranty and send you a new faucet.
Now, for example, Delta does claim that some authorized Delta distributors will just hand you a replacement over the counter, or replacement parts. Is the local discount store I bought it from going to do that. Don't know....
Anyway, I take the whole warranty thing with a grain of salt.

Moen has sent me replacement parts and even a complete new replacement for one of their faucets. I didn't have to provide receipts or return the faucet. Last time, they sent a complete new faucet.
The return policy is fine, but I'd rather have a faucet that doesn't have problems so often. Price-Pfister and Delta have both been more reliable for me.

One time I went to Home Despot looking for a part for a Moen faucet, and the guy said, "They have a lifetime warranty. Just bring in the old part and we'll give you a new one." They didn't care when or where I'd bought it.
Perce
On 02/23/06 05:35 pm snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

2 years warranty on parts sucks. Get something with a lifetime warranty and it will be the last $ you spend on that fixture. Most brands are similar quality in the cartridge but better ones use more metal in the fixture which makes them feel better to use.
Stay away from eBay faucets. One I got was great but another I had to solder the threaded fittings to get it to not leak.
ive been using american standard ceramic valve faucets in my rentals and have been very happy with how ttey look and how they hold up. lifetime warranty and if you would ever need a repair they give you a number to call and they ship it to you free. ive never had to get a part but they replaced a backflow vacume break right away that wasnt right for bidet i bought without a hassle. lucas
I second Moen. Love them and their customer service for parts is incredible.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

On 2/23/2006 1:05 PM or thereabouts, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com appears, somewhat unbelievably, to have opined:

Have you thought of contacting Price-Pfister? Chances are they will send you replacement parts or a new faucet. They do have that lifetime warranty, and they stand behind it in my experience.
--
As a child, my parents thought I was an idiot-savant.
Now, however, it is rather clear that I\'m simply an idiot.