Q: How To 'Soundproof' a Window?

We live on a ski-hill, and they have recently begun running their snow-making machines all night. The window in our bedroom is allowing a lot of noise through, and because of this we are looking for a sound-proofing solution.
The window is also letting a draft through, so I imagine that it is a seal problem causing both. All of the other windows in the house do not let much of the noise through.
We don't ever open this window in the winter, so is there a type of foam / caulking with which we could seal it up, and rid ourselves of the sleepless nights?
Any help is appreciated.
Scott wrote:

I suspect that you are going to want to seal it up, but I also suspect you will want to add some additional sound deadening materials to reduce the sound transmission through the window.
Here is a good source for information, and if you like materials.
http://www.soundproofing.org /
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Use the storm king plastic sheets that you affix around the interior trim of the window and then heat with a hair dryer to strecth and seal. This will cut the drafts out and if you want soundproofing either invest in some soundproofing panels that you can stuff inbetween the window and plastic panel or go buy your self some of the corrugated foam pads people use on their beds. Cut it into shape stuff it in the window and seal it inside with the storm king kit. This could be done for $10-15 if you do it yourself.
might also wanna check attic area over the window/room and increase insulation there

Foam will do nothing for low, rumbling sounds like those snow machines make. Soundproofing is more complicated than you'd think; you really need either a lot of mass (concrete wall) and/or a sealed, floating pocket of air (an extra wall in front of the existing wall).
dv
The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the
Just how much skiing have you done. Most snow making equipment emitts predominantly high frequency noise that is nearly defeaning close by, but dampens very quickly with distance. The very low frequency sound of a rolling train permeates buildings over spans of many miles, but this is much different than that of a snowmaker. A low density foam will be more effective at cutting the high frequencies and the high density foarms do better a damping the low frequencies.
This shows the damping performance of several acoustic foarms. http://www.800nonoise.com/foam.htm
Open cell, low density foams (egg crate type foams) are used very heavily in noise reduction and are similar to a foam cushion (although there are materials considerations beyond foam density) Regardless, we are talking easy solutions here to cut down the noise. Just about any material in the window will help even a very heavy curtain. Otherwise in addition to the extra wall in front of the house this guy is renting it would work nicely if we also rotated the house 180 degrees.

Yes sealing it up will go a long way. If that fails, turn on a fan in the room, the constant low hum will drown out the other noise, it is easier to sleep with a constant low pitch hum, than outside noise that comes and goes.
A little tip I learned from my ex, who used to live under the main in bound approach to O'Hare.
if you can afford to live on a ski hill, somehow i feel confident you can afford to pay someone to install a proper window or fix the one you got.
that or put a blanket over the window...
randy

Quite the ASSumption. We actually rent. Thanks to everyone else who provided useful responses.
Scott

sound-proofing
seal
/
you cant figure out how to plug a window and you call me the ass... you're gonna throw money into someone elses rental and you call me the ass... you never said you were renting and i should just ASSume you are....
pick one.
randy

Consider Glass block..
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:30:38 -0700, "xrongor"