Q: How To 'Soundproof' a

Scott:
S > We live on a ski-hill, and they have recently begun running their S > snow-making machines all night. The window in our bedroom is allowing a lo
S > of noise through, and because of this we are looking for a sound-proofing S > solution. S > S > The window is also letting a draft through, so I imagine that it is a seal S > problem causing both. All of the other windows in the house do not let muc
S > of the noise through.
Is this window fully closed, properly? Maybe it's "locked", but the two halves of the lock didn't align properly and the lock mechansim is pushing the window apart slightly, allowing in drafts and noise.
S > We don't ever open this window in the winter, so is there a type of foam / S > caulking with which we could seal it up, and rid ourselves of the sleepless S > nights?
Remember you don't want to use something too 'permanent' as you will want to remove with minimal damage it in the Spring to correct the situation. If this is an older house some of the air leaks (drafts and noise) may be coming from around the window (framework) rather than the window proper. A removeable caulk or even Plumber's Putty may help. (Roll out the Plumber's Putty to make a long skinny cylinder -- thick spagetti strand -- and push into place.)
With our old windows I used a 3/8" or 1/2" wide self-adhesive foam strips to seal some of the smaller areas. On a couple I used V-shaped metal strips -- normally used on doors.
Seal the window the best you can. If you are able use a thick drape over the entire window to hold back some of the draft and soundproof. (Some drapery has a thermal lining.)
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Some people can tell time by looking at the sun. I can't see the numbers.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:39:06 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@rime.org (barry martin) wrote:

Don't send email here: snipped-for-privacy@euclidian.com
You might invest in a "noise maker", a device that creates a "babbling brook" or a "waterfall" sound. to drown out the outside noises. Helps you sleep! I use one to cover the neighbor's dog barking at night.