Q> House Jacking?

Anyone have any experience with house jacking. I'm going to be trying to figure out which is cheaper, jacking up the house about 6 inches or having the basement floor excavated (It's about a six inch slab).

What are the pros and cons of each?

@charter.net (hlherron)

Reply to
Henry

Obviously you need quotes from local firms that do each type of work. Before you proceed, exactly what are you trying to accomplish? More basement head room? Seems to me that getting advice from a competent structural engineer is absolutely vital at this point. He may point out that digging up the slab exposes the basement wall footings and that could be a problem. FWIW, my gut instinct says jacking up the house will be a better deal. Don't have personal experience, but there are a several houses nearby that were lifted and moved to new foundations with great success as part of a road improvement. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

You have to not disturb the footings but digging down should be cheaper. You will also have the option of floor radiant heating and insulating under the concrete with foamboard. I just went with the insulation as I get to -15f. Raising the house will require redoing all utilities and you will crack walls upatairs.

Reply to
m Ransley

Around here house jacking is about $25,000. Most of which goes to insurance.

Reply to
Scott

Henry:

H > Anyone have any experience with house jacking. I'm going to be trying to H > figure out which is cheaper, jacking up the house about 6 inches or having H > the basement floor excavated (It's about a six inch slab). H > H > What are the pros and cons of each?

House jacking would probably be cheaper, though there was a problem a couple of weeks ago with one locally: somehow the house 'slipped' into the basement that was being created from the crawlspace.

You probably will also have to "stretch" electrical, data (telephone, television, etc.), plumbing (water, sewer and gas), HVAC (ductwork) as your house will now be 6" or so higher. (I'd probably go with the "so" ==> add a course of cement blocks?)

If you go the dig-out-the-floor method I would probably stay several inches from the current floor and any supports; the slab under the furnace could be even as the one under the water heater. The furnace doesn't have much weight but I wouldn't want to disturb the walls of the basement as they're supporting the weight of the house.

  • Please don't touch the guest towels.
Reply to
barry martin