Q: Best paint for aluminium siding?

I'd like to paint my aluminium siding. The color of the house is currently a plain white. The former owners of the house had planted trees/shrubs too close to the house, and the branches wore away at the original finish. I'd like to repaint the house in a light brown color. What name brand paint holds up the best in hot/cold climates? What kind of prep should be done first?

Thanks,

Steve

If its original paint then its Chalking. Chalking has to be removed to be painted over . There is one paint however that can bond to chalking, it is Sherwin Williams Duration which is their best and has a lifetime warranty . Its expensive but worth it especialy for aluminum siding. Or if there is no chalking Ben Moore , P&L , Pittsburg or any top brand , using their best line.

Reply to
m Ransley

[] Uhhh, you're missing the point.

None. Aluminum siding isn't meant to be painted. It doesn't work.

There have been volumes published on the subject, everything from chemical etching to pressure washing to voodoo dances and the sacrificing of small creatures.

And no matter how good you *do* manage to do it, in 3 or 4 years it will need done again. See "[]". HTH.

Nope, don't blame us.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

T.P. Nothing could be further from the truth . Aluminum siding is painted and can be repainted and it will last 30 -40 yrs if its done Right. Anything can be painted and be made to last , its a matter of following instructions and knowing what you are doing ......

Reply to
m Ransley

This is absolutely true. I have repainted aluminum siding with very good results. Pick your paint wisely, a neighbor a block away really made a crummy looking mess of his. I think he used gloss paint, I used "egg shell", he didn't cover evenly.

Walt Conner

Reply to
Walt Conner

Obviously the best aluminum paint on the market will be found in aircratf maintenance supply places. Not recommending it, because of the likely high price, but as a point of reference those people have lots of answers to questions of prepping, etc. Another industry that paints lots of aluminum is the motor home and trailer groups. Doing some research along those lines might help you choose the best system. Have you done your Google search yet? HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

We use Benjamin Moore "Moorglo" exterior latex and it works great. The paint job lasts around 8 years on average. We use semi-gloss -- it looks a little glow-y at first but tones down in a few weeks. One time the painter used flat paint and it didn't look as good and didn't last as long.

By all means, paint it. Our cheap aluminum siding was in pretty bad shape after years of neglect by several previous owners and painting it was the single best cosmetic improvement we made to the house.

Wash it down and prime it the first time around. The painter used a regular hose and a brush the first time, but it was no big cleanup job, believe me. He came with a power washer in later years, but was very gentle with it. No blasting.

The only disadvantage is that you have to continue painting it when it needs it. But you know that.

Reply to
Tom Miller

You may be right, but all I've ever heard is the horror stories. Lived in one a few homes ago too, where somebody before me did a miserable job of it. I can buy into it being possible, but it's hard to get paint to stick to *anything* for 30-40 years, let alone a surface like siding. Sorry, I still think you would be repainting often, and that defeats the whole purpose of the siding.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

The problem with painting siding is the original oil paint chalks, this chalk must be completly removed or latex simply will not last. Removing chalk is a tedious washing process of repeat and checking. But Sherwin Williams Duration is meant to bond to just about anything and has a true warranty for life on bonding issues that make the job worth doing. Paint chemistry changes every year and keeps getting better

Reply to
m Ransley

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote in news:29032-408918EB-30@storefull-

3137.bay.webtv.net:

He's right-- lots of people have successfully painted aluminum siding. Our house was painted perhaps 20-25 years ago by the prior owners, and we're just getting to the point of repainting it this summer. Only the south side is chalking badly, but if you scrape hard enough you can find the original green under the brown.

Lots of advice is out there on the process, but from what I've read if you simply removing the chalking it's just like painting any other kind of metal. Good prep and good paint will make a good finish.

-Kiwanda

Reply to
Laptopuser