PVCSched 40 Lettering

I'm making some dog agility jumps out of Sched 40 1-1/4 PVC pipe and want to remove the lettering (I want nice clean white).
What solvent ?? Another thread suggested acetone, but then someone jumped in with how toxic acetone is...
Thanks

Acetone
On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 21:57:33 GMT, "Jeff Klein"

You may want to spray paint it white.
Much PVC is not UV stabilized and gets brittle with sunlight exposure. A nice coating of gloss white paint will protect it, make it easy to clean, and cover the lettering, all in one sweep.
Barry

Goof-off or mineral spirits and some very fine steel wool takes it off pretty easily. I've also used a wet SOS soap pad with good results.
BB

stuff out doors there should be no problems. The stuff is handy to have around as a general purpose solvent. If you use electrical rated sched 40 PVC you won't get sunlight deteriation.
The acetone may make a mess of the outside though & th eclear cleaner/primer definitely will. 0000 steel wool, perhaps w/ mineral spirits remove it nicely.

a google turns up http://www.elchem.com/msds/EW410.HTML says it is MEK and acetone, and some other stuff.
Nail polish remover should work fine.

An abrasive cleaner (soft scrub) worked great for me when I did a similar thing (pvc bird perches).
Ted