PVC threaded fittings into Vacuum Breaker -- shorten threaded part?

I'm replacing the indoor section of the plumbing that feeds our sprinkler system. The old PVC threaded fittings screwed in far enough that the shoulder of the fitting contacted the body of the vacuum breaker, but the new fittings bottom in the VB with more than 1/2 in. of thread still showing. Would it be a good idea to cut enough off the threaded portion of the PVC fittings so that none of the threaded part (which I assume is the weakest part) is unsupported by the body of the VB?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Perce,

Having exposed thread won't cause any problems, in fact that's how most threaded fittings end up.

If the vacuum breaker is heavy enough that you're worried about it, it would be smarter to install some kind of strap to carry the weight of the VB.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

Thanks, Anthony. The vacuum breaker was already -- and still will be -- supported by straps.

Perce

Reply to
Nobody

+1

They are tapered and are not supposed to go all the way in. Only far enough to make them tight and not leak.

Reply to
trader_4