pvc thread connection leaks

I am having a problem sealing PVC pipe threads--male to female --I use pvc male adaptors to pvc valves --and more than 50% of the time, the connection leaks --I have tried pipe dope, rectro seal, teflon tape, over tightening, and just barley tightening the fitting --this is quite annoying since the joint must be redone --and there is no way of testing it until all is hooked up --What I am sure of, is the teflon tape has the most failures, while the rectro-seal has about 30% failure rate --any suggestions for pvc to pvc thread joint leaks??
earlywagon wrote:

Would it be feasible to glue them?
earlywagon wrote:

I've always had good luck with teflon tape. I wind a couple turns and screw them together tight. I can only recall one time that a female connector broke during tightening.
Pj
I have used a combination of teflon tape with an extra dab of pipe dope. Tape or dope alone don't seem to work. Don't over tighten, or you can break things.
I bit the bullet and glued them as suggested --no leaks --I had tried tape, and pipe dope combo prior and the problem here was it leaked --as did the tape by itself --the only sealent which I had success but not all the time was pipe dope with teflon --however, there were still leaks some of the time --the glue --worked --thanks for the comments --bill