PVC soil pipe directly over a timber

I have a 200+ year old home and am remodeling a bathroom. The location where I wish to locate the toilet would place the flange and PVC soil pipe directly over a 8x8 timber. I could judiciously remove a portion of the timber, reinforcing with plywood gussets, glued and screwed, but I feel a flange and 90-ell would require removing too much of the timber. Is there any solution?

Reply to
Docvox

Build a platform for the toilet to sit on. Re-route the drain pipe inside the platform so it avoids the 8x8 timber.

Reply to
Home Guy

Are there any toilets with deliberately offset outlets?

Reply to
hrhofmann

There are toilets called "back outlet toilets" that flush out of the back rather than flushing straight down below the toilet.

Here's a Google search for that:

.

Click on the link that says "Images for back outlet toilets" to see photos and diagrams.

Maybe the OP could use a back outlet toilet and route the PVC soil pipe away from the timber that is below where the toilet will go.

Reply to
TomR

relocate toilet.......

Reply to
bob haller

I would think so.

Elves are discussed in the next t hread.

Put the toilet (or the whole bathroom) on a platform so the pipe can go to the side? I've stayed in hotels where the whole bathroom was on a 6 or 8" platform. I assume that was to make doing the pipes easier, although there may have been another reason, like washing the floor??.

Reply to
micky

Ok, what am I missing? Why would it be easier to wash a floor that is 6-8" higher than the surrounding area. After all, it's still a floor, isn't it?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

*I don't know if this will help, but an offset closet flange is available:
John Grabowski

Because you can sweep the water into a bucket of the right size at the entrance to the bathroom. Instead of having to soak it into the mop and wring out the mop, several times. Quicker. The bedroom was still at the original height.

I don't know if they did this, but I don't like to assume my first guess is the correct one. One hotel was probably the Abbey in NYC, about 37 years old in 1964, still 3 stars or more, and had probably had its bathrooms remodeled. (Was once half of the Abbey-Victoria, split up, and then merged again. Now torn down for the Equitable Life Assurance Society.)

Reply to
micky

Help me picture that. What are you expecting them to do...pour a bunch of water on the floor and then "sweep" it through the doorway into a 6? high bucket?

How wide would this bucket need to be to work correctly...as wide as the doorway? A 32? x ? X 6? bucket?

How would the hotel worker move that around once it was full of water?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Make the bathroom with shower handicap accessible. One day you may need it.

the shower drain is the low oint of the entire bathroom, with no hub at the shower entrance.,

all overflows go down the shower drain:) such a bathroom can be a big selling point in the future, and handy to have in the meantime.

with ceramic tile walls you can use a hose to clean everything

Reply to
bob haller

That jacked up bathroom sure must have made an impression, seeing that you still remember it from 1964....

Reply to
trader4

Thanks. My ultimate solution was an off-set closet flange and a 14" rough-in toilet.

Reply to
Docvox

Yeah something like that. Maybe like a dust pan on a long handle, where the dustpan opens vertically until it's put on the floor. Then it tips over and opens to the side.

No, not that wide.

I don't know. But after they tried it a few times, they'd figure out better ways than I can, sitting here. There are many many good ideas that others have figured out that I don't unless I see it done that way.

Like I say:

Reply to
micky

Yes, it did! I'm still trying to figure out why they did that, but pretty sure it was to change the plumbing without digging up the floor too much. Not sure why the plumbing needed changing, though, since I think the original construction in 1927 would have had a sink and a tub with a shower, just like it did when I was there. Hot and cold water, too.

I remmeber it had a half-inch lip that extended the floor past the riser near the door to the bedroom. .

Reply to
micky

Specifications

PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR DIRECT EMAIL ADDRESS WHEN REPLYING TO THIS ADVERT. THIS WILL HELP US SEND YOU A SWIFT REPLY TO YOUR REQUEST

WE DEAL ON HARDWOOD LOGS, LUMBER, SAWN TIMBER, FLOORING, DECKING MATERIALS. THIS INCLUDES IROKO, SAPELE, ACAJOU, BUBINGA, EBONY, MAHOGANY, FRAKE, TEAK , PADAUK, OBECHE, DOUSSIE, PACHYLOBA, AYOUS, OKAN, DABEMA, BILINGA, AND MAN Y OTHERS. WHAT EVER HARDWOOD YOU NEED OR REQUIRE, SIMPLE CONTACT US TO KNOW OUR STOCKS. CONTACT WITH YOUR EMAIL AND TELEPHONE NUMBER FOR EASY COMMUNIC ATION .

PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR DIRECT EMAIL ADDRESS WHEN REPLYING TO THIS ADVERT. THIS WILL HELP US SEND YOU A SWIFT REPLY TO YOUR REQUEST

ALPHA TIMBER CO,.LTD Email : alphatimberco2013 AT gmail.com SKYPE: lidapgroupco

Reply to
alphatimberco2013