PVC roof sewer vent stack okay?

I am getting a new roof installed, but beforehand I will be replacing the cast iron sewer vent stack that is above the roof line with a new one. I am guessing that just extending the new 3-inch PVC vent stack that will be inside the house up through the roof to the outside to the correct height is okay.

Is that correct?

Reply to
Jay-T

You have to see in your local codes like PVC (think plumber's union) but it will work fine. I used gray electrical conduit for my stacks since it is U/V resistant. Inspectors were fine with that.

Reply to
gfretwell

if any part of the line your replacing carries water near a living space.

You need to know in advance PVC transmits the noise of flushing great, it will be very noisey.

Reply to
hallerb

The vent stack only carries gas.

Reply to
gfretwell

Jay,

Yes, that would work fine. Just use the appropriate flashing for the 3" PVC pipe.

I plumbed our house with PVC, but transitioned to a short segment of ABS for coming out of the roof. This was just for appearance, as I felt the black ABS pipe would look better sticking out of the roof than a bright white PVC pipe.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Thanks. I took your suggestion and that's what I did -- PVC on the inside and ABS on the outside since the new roof that is going to be put on today is black.

Reply to
Jay-T