PVC Jandy valve -- weak screw

Replacing three O-rings in my Jandy Valve (solar pool panel valve).
One of the screws is weak and can't be tightened without further damaging the PVC (I assume).
What can I use to help and be able to tighten the screw a little more?
I need to remove the screws in the future, so I think JB-Weld or something permanent won't work well.
Sample (not my exact one) valve showing screws. See #1
pic:
<
http://www.poolcenter.com/jandy_check_valve.jpg
Wedge of toothpick? :-/
If absolutely necessary, drill the hole larger, fill with epoxy, redrill and tap after it cures.
The helicoil idea might be just as easy if not more so (but I don't know how well it will old up in a wet environment).

I've hundreds of Helicoils in auto repairs. They are all stainless steel. Never saw any corroded ones. Some marine manufacturers (Volvo, IIRC) use them for new products that will be used in salt water service.
Joe