PVC glue and glue primer -- minimum temperatures

Page 1 of 3
I'm concerned with the glue drying properly outside in 50 degrees Farenheit. I expect the temp to stay there for 3 hours or so. Will the glue set up properly? I'm having a back flow repair for my underground sprinkler today in west Houston, Texas.
Thanks
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 06:28:23 -0600, jim wrote:

Nope. You'll need to have it hermetically sealed in a mason jar out on the back porch by funk and wagnals first. Bubba (Read the container the glue comes in, silly)

Thanks but did it ever occur to you maybe I'm not doing the repair myself ?
Well since the glue does not -dry- (it sets) at all there is no concern. I would quote you from my bottle but am laid up now and can't reach it. As to the specific concern. No, 50 degrees is no problem. The glue will set in a very frew seconds and ready for use in under 30 seconds at least down as far as I have used it which is not much above freeqing.
Harry K

Thanks Harry. I just called a local hardware store and they agreed with you. Thank god there are normal people like yourself who can answer someone else's concerns without putting them down.
Much appreciated and get well soon.... jim
Oatey Regular PVC Cement; Regular Cement for PVC
Regular-bodied clear cement for use on PVC pipe and fittings. Up to 4" for DWV Sch. 40 and up to 2" for Sch. 80. Recommended for ALL grades and types of PVC pipe and fittings, potable water, pressure pipe, gas, conduit and DWV. Sets up quickly. Recommended application temperature 40F to 100F. Meets ASTM D-2564

That's perfect info for me. Thank you bumtracks !!

The setting speed depends on the grade of cement you have. "wet-r-dry" is the fastest, setting almost instantly. The heavy duty takes a few minutes before it is really set but it has 15-20 seconds of "open" time. You need that when you are joining big pipe, hence "heavy duty". I still wait a while before I slam the pressure to any of them, at least a half hour on the HD stuff. It may be overkill but I hate doing things twice.
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 07:52:21 -0600, jim wrote:

Did it ever actually occur to you that I really dont give a shit? When I go home in the evening, my sprinkler system works fine. Too bad yours has a problem. You wann know what my crystal ball tells me about you and the little job you are having done on your sprinkler system? You hired the cheapest handyman down the road to do your repairs and now you are having second thoughts about the progress of the job and the actual ability of the drunk that is doing it. Next time get legitimate estimates from professional sprinkler companies you cheap bastard and hire the best guy through the least little bit of research on your own you tight wad. There. That about nail it on the head for you jimmy? Bubba

Jim, pay no attention to Bubba, he was an abused child and has a frightfully bitter outlook of life. Crystal balls? that is all Bubba has.

Thanks MG, your post really made me laugh and gave me a good prospective of bubba. I'll take your advice.
thanks again.

Bubba

No it doesn't nail it on the head but it's not your fault because you have your head so far up your ass, you couldn't see or hear anything.
Since Bubba can't see or hear this but for everyone else -- Now since it's repaired, system works as good as new. First repair ever for this system and probably it's more my fault since I didn't insulate the pipes from the southern sun during summer.
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:09:00 -0600, jim wrote:

Exactly as I thought. You futzed with it before and you did the repair. You cant fool and old fool. Ive seen way too many of your kind before and I'll see many more. Found one yesterday where the guy almost killed himself and his wife. Wanted to save a buck, just like you, you cheap ass. Bubba

Not true but as I said before, you have your head so far up your ass, you can't read or hear anything.
I didn't break the pipe I just was "about" to insulate it for the winter when I discovered the leak (very small hairline crack). I knew I couldn't fix it properly so I hired a man. He said to keep it insulated even in the summer due to our southern temperatures (95 degrees typically) which I had not done hence I say this repair was my fault because I didn't keep it insulated during the summer months. It was NOT caused by me futzing with it.
Now if you care to rant on, go for it and show the new people in this newsgroup like me, your type.
<jim> wrote in message

PVC pipe is probably more bothered by the UV in the sun than the heat of it. White PVC becomes very brittle after a few years in the sun. Even painting it can help.
Bob

Bob, that's an interesting idea. Maybe I'll paint it when the insulation wears off.
When the repair man installed the backflow, he insulated it for me and then wrapped it well with electrical tape (lots of tape).
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:37:40 -0600, jim wrote:

and once again, for you, you idiot.......... If YOU hadnt futzed with it (YOU DID) it wouldnt have had a leak in the first place. Thus, it appears you have the seeing/hearing problem. I also still know that you had no one repair it. YOU did the repair. Bubba (the next lip flapping you hear will be din-wit Jim)

No it won't. It will be Bubba.
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:38:52 -0600, jim wrote:

What did I tell you? Damn that crystal ball is right on the money. You are so easy jim, its pathetic. Your are Just another little pull toy for my enjoyment. Now, sit up and bark Bubba