PVC conduit fittings outdoors?

Is it kosher according to the NEC to use such PVC conduit fittings as pull elbows and LB conduit bodies outdoors on a 220-volt circuit? The ones I have are not marked as being suitable for wet locations. Are there some that are so marked?

If I can't use such fittings, how do I make 90-degree bends and T-joints and also route conduit through a (wood) fence from one side to the other?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Yes, PVC and it's associated fittings can be used in wet locations. Be sure the conductors you use inside the PVC are rated for wet locations as well

Reply to
RBM

Any borg or electrical supply house will carry PVC conduit specifically designed for exterior use. It'll be UF rated, water proof, etc. It's usually grey. Look in the electrical section of a borg, not the plumbing section. T'hey'll also have all the fittings and connectors you need, including connectors that will allow you to make turns and to connect the PVC to metal boxes. You'll need to pick up special glue for this type of PVC.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have the ordinary grey "Carlon" brand PVC conduit and fittings I was intending to use (and the primer and cement), but then I read a claim that for use in "wet locations" (which surely includes anywhere outside

-- but also underground, I understand) the fittings must be so marked. The diecast metal outlet boxes I bought *are* so marked, so that made me think that the other fittings are *not* OK for outdoor use.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Percival P. Cassidy wrote: ...

If they are exterior-rated, that would normally be expected to be noted if there is any actual rating stamped on them. How are they marked? Is there a part number to verify against?

--

Reply to
dpb

They have the Carlon and UL logos. The covers of the pull elbows are marked '3/4" PULL ELBOW' and 'E990-E'; they have a synthetic rubber gasket the same size as the cover. The LB conduit bodies are marked on the inside with "PVC", the volume and the conductor capacity; they have a sealing ring around the edge of the cover; a sticker on the outside has "E983E" and the UPC bar code.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I don't have the Carlon catalog memorized ( :) ) -- look 'em up if you're uncertain. Sounds like they would most likely be exterior-rated from the description.

--

Reply to
dpb