Puzzle: how to get this light fixture open?

Page 2 of 2

On 2/5/2010 4:36 AM John Grabowski spake thus:

Yes; what of it? You're not a local building inspector, are you?
Regarding the responses I got, some of them seem to be from folks who clearly have reading comprehension problems. I have little patience for that. So sue me.

- a Usenet "apology"

Oh....it's not comprension?

*No, but I do have a California C10 license. My problem is that you're an unlicensed guy being hiring by homeowners to do wiring in their homes yet at the same time you announce to the world that you cannot figure out how to change light bulbs in a ceiling fixture. It seems that you don't have a mentor or took the time out to get any electrical training. I assume that getting your work inspected is out of the question.
You also don't appear to be very bright. California is probably the worst state in the union to do work as an unlicensed contractor. They spend a lot of money enforcing the contractor laws and these days the members of the contractor's board are doing everything that they can to justify their jobs to avoid getting laidoff. You have no problem announcing to the world that you work without a license.

Yeah, but with his charm and wit he should be able to sweet-talk the authorities into looking the other way. <g>
Killfile the twit- he's obviously one of the pigs that will never learn to sing. If we start ignoring the likes of him and the 'mormon' and the other I'm smarter than all you folks but tell me how to do this. . .' folks maybe they'll go away.
Jim

*I went through the hall when I worked for the studios, but now I am non-union.

If it is like the one I have you have to pull down on one of the tabs and rotate.
On 02/04/2010 08:47 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Go find the same one in a store and see or ask how it opens up.

This all sounds like the games auto manufacturers played in the 1950s and drove the gas station attendants crazy, yes, in those days gas stations had attendants that filled your cars with gasoline.
Some had the cap on the side behind a door such as you see today. Others hid the door in the corner of the truck lid, others put them behind the license plate which was on a spring loaded hinge. Volkswagen was under the hood. Buick was behind the left tail light which hinged down. Sometimes you had to walk around and try different things to find the gas cap.
Then again they also confused us with hiding the starter button. Some used the key switch like today, some had a button on the dash. Others made you put the gear shift lever in neutral and pull it towards yourself, one company added the starter button behind the clutch-you pushed down extra hard to start it. Buicks put it under the accelerator pedal, again you pushed down extra hard to start. Mini Minors had a rubber bump on the hump on the floor, you pressed it with your palm or fist. I worked in an auto body repair shop and it was a challenge every time you had to move a car. Don't let me get started on the Divco delivery trucks that you drove standing up with a rocker gas pedal that you stood on and a combination brake and parking brake.
EXT wrote:
<big snip>

A guy I knew who at one time delivered milk told me about the trucks that when you stepped off of the pedal it disengaged the clutch and applied the brake. He said he would be in the back of the truck grabbing the milk while the truck was slowly coming to a stop. Does that sound like the truck you described?

Yes, Divco trucks were popular with dairies that delivered milk. If you don't stomp on the parking brake hard enough it will drag the truck to a stop eventually, and that is what he is probably describing. I didn't drive them much, as I didn't like them plus I only had to jockey them around the body shop property. My father serviced the local dairy, they had over 100 of these trucks. That was in the days when 6% milk was considered to be normal milk, now they skim the cream off the milk and sell 5% as light cream, and call 3% as normal milk. Jersey cows regularly gave 6% or richer milk.