Putting wiring on the top of rafters

Just curious. I normally see in unfinished buildings such as garages, where the romex wiring is stapled to the sides of trusses and other lumber overhead. I am wiring a garage and decided to put the wires on the top of these boards. On the trussses it's on their sides because of the boards that run upward, but most of the wires run down the center of the building on a 2x4 that runs the length of the building and was put there just for the lights (plus a little bit more stability for the trusses). This is a low roof so there will never be a floor put up there. Aside from a few birds that get up there, nothing will be placed on top of these wires. I just thought it would look better if they were on the top. I was wondering if this is legal, before I go any further with them.
Thanks
Codes vary by town, but thats how my house was wired ten years ago.
cm

I don't know what the code would say, but I would feel moe confortable doing that if it were in a conduit or armored cable.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Or at least laid in a trough made by two 2x4.
Harry K
Harry K spake thus:

Sounds like overkill to me: most wiring I see in garages is BX (or even Romex) stapled to the side/bottom/whatever of *anything*. Just putting it up top would be a vast improvement.
--
Just as McDonald\'s is where you go when you\'re hungry but don\'t really
snipped-for-privacy@someISP.com wrote:

Do you mean on top of the joists? On top of the rafters it would get punctured by roofing nails.
Bob
rodents more like to sample wires on top as opposed to those under