Putting up fence - Do I need a boundry survey?

Page 2 of 4

In hick towns you don't need permits.
Add pictures here
✖
You can usually find the survey pegs with a good metal detector if your area is pegged. Otherwise, it's about $500 in our area for a survey. Find someone you know in the biz and flip him a hundred.

✖
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:23:49 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

Go to city hall and look up your plot. The surveyor who did the original survey will be identified on it. If they are still in business, it often saves you some money io have them update their original work.
I found the guy who did one of my properties when the house was built in 1952, and it cost me a LOT less in 1997 than any other quote I got.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 12, 3:27 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I had to have a survey done before I closed. Apparently it was just an updated tape survey cuz the previous owner told me some guys came out, took a few measurements in the yard and left.
I thought all was well until a few months after closing I submitted a copy of the map along with the plans for the deck I was building. The town clerk said I was really close to set back limits, but that I was OK. I found that really strange since I knew where my deck would end and I knew where my lot line was and I didn't think I was even close.
I went home and measured and I was right. I then took a close look at the map and realized that they had put my house almost 20' back on the map from where it really belonged. I called the company that did the tape survey and they sent out a crew with transits and measuring wheels and tapes and spent hours crawling through back yards and up and down the street and holy sh*t you'd think they were planning some multi-billion dollar super secret government installation!
When they were done, they sent me a new map, with my house drawn exactly where I though it should have been based on my quick measurements with a 25' tape. Sure was fun to watch!
Add pictures here
✖
That is the difference between a standard survey and a boundary survey....
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
The survey had beter be correct. If you have one done and it is not correct and you build something by the survey and it is not correct, then the person doing the survey has to make it right. Say you built your house by the survey and later found 10 feet of the house was on your neighbor's property, then the person doing the survey would need to buy the extra land or have your house moved.
Add pictures here
✖
it doesn't matter, he didn't have a boundary survey.
Only those will hold in court.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Also, you'll want to make sure there's not any rules about having the fence ON the property line, AND that there's no utility easements. You'll also need utility locates before you start punching holes.

✖
The only utility I have is natural gas, I can see where it goes (not where the fence is.
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

Keep in mind that just because you only have gas, does not mean your neighbors don't have more and it may run across your property. In most areas the utilities will come out and mark their lines and pipes for free.
Add pictures here
✖
Why would my neighbors utility cross 2 acres of horse pasture?
snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
The dude wrote:

In the unlikely event the main actually is on the other side and an easement was obtained to make the run shortest distance.
Nobody said it does, only that stranger things are possible and worth checking on when purchasing property to determine if there are any hidden "gotcha's" such as a utility easement that isn't obvious from just looking.
✖
The water main coming down my street is 27' back into my front hay field. I'm not thinking it would be good to bore into a 12" pvc line whilst fencing.

✖
The dude wrote:

It probably doesn't, but you never know. While making a flower bed, I cut my neighbor's TV cable line, which was in _my_ yard. It ran all the way across my lot to the junction box in the yard of the neighbor on the _other_ side.
Note: Many posters add data that applies to the problem in general, not specifically to you, to help other people reading the message later. Besides, they might point out something you need to know, but haven't thought of yet. :-)
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

What was there 100 years ago?
Add pictures here
✖
Probably a corn or bean field...
My farm was built in 1942, and all the land around was owned by a farmer.
Now it was divided out.... in the 1990's
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Just get the fricken survey and save yourself a lot of headache later on. geesh.
Add pictures here
✖
Noahbuddy wrote:

I plan on it, but I am trying to gauge what it should cost. $2,000 seemed rather steep...
Add pictures here
✖
Best to get the free locates anyway. Are your electric, phone, WATER, and cable all overhead?

✖
yes they are...
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Add pictures here