Putting up drywall

Im getting ready to drywall one of my rooms and am going to hang it horizontally. My question is can I run it all horizontal or do I have to break it up at some point and put one board verticle. I read some where about some 4-1-4 rule but noting to explain it. My room is 20x26 and the walls are 93 inches high from floor to top of joist (kind of and odd size). Thanks Jordan

Reply to
Jordan

On 7/11/2008 8:48 PM Jordan spake thus:

No real rules here, at least in your case (I'm sure there are "rules" that help when one is hanging miles and miles of drywall), but keep in mind that the long edges (the 8' ones, assuming you're using 8-foot sheets) are tapered, to make good taped edges, while the short edges aren't.

If in doubt, sketch it out before doing it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Are 4x8 sheets of drywall actually 48" X 96"? If so it looks like I'll have to cut some off every sheet. thanks jordan

Reply to
Jordan

Yes they are. My basement (mainly unfinished) ceiling height is 9 ft and I got a great deal on some 5/8" firerock (20+ 10 ft sheets @ $ 1.00 each) There was water damage on one corner where a tarp had let water leak onto the pile (they had ~400 sheets like that). I ve cut one foot off the length to 9 ft and will hang them vertically. I already set the electrical boxes for the 5/8.

Regular 8' sheets here (Canada) are about double what they sell for in the US $ 11.96 vs About $ 6.38 !! We re being ROBBED by CSG, a division of USG Sheetrock. The boxes of "mud" are a rip-off too $ 14.00 VS around 6 bucks so I buy the 'mud' down in Washington state.

Reply to
Rudy

One last question, when it comes to inside and outside corners what is the best way to hang the drywall. Should both corners be the tapered edge or a cut edge? How bad is it to finish if one side is tapered and one is not? I read that either out side corners should not be tapered, but no mention of inside corners. Can you put a tapered edge and a non one in an inside corner? Thanks

Reply to
Jordan

One in the top corner, then every 8" is fine. You can use more but will have more holes to fill..

Is that the suspended ceiling

with the 2' X 4' (or 2x2) drop in panels and the hanging metal framework ? I ve never done that type but am considering going that route in our unfinished bsmt if SWMBO "approves" it. Its either that stuff or hire some young lads to "hang" the regular board on the ceiling. Walls aren't so bad but the last time I did that (ceiling in a friends basement) I ended up with two torn rotator cuffs in the shoulders-took over two years to get healed up.

Reply to
Rudy

?

Forgot to mention, I did not go the drywall ceiling route as I still need access to my water/power lines for a future project.

Reply to
Jordan