Putting up a mail box

No need to insult.

The post is a flimsy wrought iron post that is badly corroded. I don't think any spray paint would help. I have already spray painted it last year and within a month it the corrosion came right back. This is Miami with beating sun and driving rain day in day out.

orangetrader

You could go to an aluminum scrap yard and pick up a 3" aluminum post for a few bucks. It would last forever. Pick up some pieces of angle while you are there to fasten the box to. This stuff is less than a buck a pound at the scrap yard and you can usually find brand new material that was left over from a job.

Reply to
Greg

- Nehmo ?

- Greg -

replace.

- Nehmo ? Apparently you are saying the chore of replacing a mail box is something I haven't experienced and if I had experienced it, I would be willing to put others in peril to avoid doing it again. (You are also suggesting that I've hit mail boxes.)

A public safety issue should be dealt with on a broader scale than individual experience. Changing a mail box may be an unwanted choir to someone, but being crippled for life is more unpleasant. And to a lesser degree, paying taxes or insurance premiums to pay for injuries is more unpleasant. Changing a mail box, or even something bigger like a street light, is no big deal comparatively.

Some people mount their mail box on an arm that rotates to the side when hit. That's one idea.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

Yup yup--always lotsa fun to be had sending whiney complaints to the great bit bucket in the sky........Feeling better now ???

=====

And now heres a link just for you :

PrecisionMachinisT

- Oscar_Lives -

- Nehmo - While looking over the debris, he heard the phone ring. It was officer speaking in somber tones explaining to him what brought your friend's daughter to the hospital. Apparently someone was giving his daughter a ride home and they were just about there. Then a car in the oncoming lane had a front-left blowout and the vehicle lunged across the center line. The driver of the car carrying the daughter had no choice but to ditch to the right. The doctors didn't have a clear assessment of the daughter's injuries yet because she hadn't regained consciousness.

- Oscar_Lives -

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

Reply to
Phisherman

I wonder of you have even seen one.

Reply to
Greg

Still,........Make it the fault of the appropriate being, not the property owner that was "in the way"

Whatever happened to natural selection?????

The driver/owner of the car should have bought a car that was indestructible or better yet not be allowed to have passengers.

I'm not saying that idiots *must* die. I'm saying they should be

*allowed* to die. Choice is not given anymore. and Fault is assigned to people that weren't even involved.

My house is on the "target" side of a curve. If someone falls asleep and runs through my yard and into the 4' plus thick tree trunk and dies.................Well, I hate to say this, But it has nothing to do with me. As an aside, I think The driver would be responsible for replacement or repair of the tree...............Can't put 30 years of tree back just by throwing in a sappling either. So where does the madness end???? I'd probably not sue for anything, but that's just me. I feel like the dead sucke............the injured ..............the victim?..............Whatever has gone through enough at that point.

( I ain;t buyin the victim thang either )

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Some pretty long odds........................

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Wrong.

I wouldn't let my daughter ride with a bad driver like you.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

What the f*ck are you talking about?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

I for one draw the line at setting out to kill or maim someone who hits my mailbox unintentionally. Anything that is in the public easement should be constructed to minimize injury to the occupants of a motor vehicle in the event of a collision with that object. If the box is mounted out of the easement then I suppose it is your business.

-- Tom H

Reply to
HorneTD

I just put up a new mailbox. The old post rotted out. If you have some post hole diggers, just buy a pressure treated post and drop it in. It helps to have a tamper too. Pack the dirt around as you fill hole back in, will last for years. Cheaper than the Lowe,s etc. ready made mailboxes. Doesn,t look as nice though!

HorneTD wrote in news:Hx7fd.8163$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

If the damage is intentional from something like joy-riding and let's see how many mailboxes we can knock down, then the bastards deserve whatever they get. I'd just as soon see them lying dead in the road.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

- Wayne Boatwright -

whatever

- Nehmo -

Except that mail boxes are dumb, and they can't ascertain the intent of the driver who runs into them. Nor can mail boxes determine the other circumstances surrounding an accident - such as the number and age of the vehicle's occupants. (Sometimes buses go off the road.)

Placing a stout mail box by the side of a road is socially negligent. Going further and making a booby-trap mailbox is malicious.

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

Reply to
Dave jackson

Ok, this is getting to be much to involved of a thread. So let's figure out how to settle this.. arbitration, if you will.

1) Nehmo wants a mailbox which is cute and cuddly and bounces grandchildren on its knee.

2) Lots of other people want a mailbox which will be a one time install, immune to the hooligans and eliminating the PITA labor of digging out old concrete and pouring new.

Here you go, I did it at my mom's place after she lost a mailbox once a year due to icy roads in Michigan. You build a hollow square tube with an inside dimension to fit a 4x4. make it the same length as your post will be buried deep. Sink the tube in the ground, top level with grade. Use concrete if you like. Now you have a socket to put your post in. If it breaks off you can easily slide the broken post out and drop in a new one (a new 4x4 ain't gonna break the bank) (This solves issue #2). If you're safety concious you can drill two holes perpendicular to the road just above grade. I used a 1 1/4" bit if I remember correctly. This will create a weak point where the post will break if slammed into. (Happy Nehmo?) This has proved highly successful with a plastic one-piece mailbox.. Mom loves it. In fact, sometimes she will actually pull her mailbox out of the ground when expecting an ice storm, since it's more likely it would get hit then. I even made her a little plug out of scrap 4x4 and some plywood to keep the elements out of the empty socket. Of course, once you do this, Murphy's Law says that your mailbox will never be touched again.

Maybe this will actually help the OP..

~Rob

"Nehmo Sergheyev" wrote in news:44ufd.6801$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com:

Reply to