Putting Nails Into Concrete Walls

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I would like to hang some things up in my basement, but the walls are of course all made of concrete. Is there a special type of nail to hang on concrete walls or is there something other than nails that can be used?
Yes, there are "concrete" nails. They are specially hardened. I've found them a real PITA to drive in. A better bet is the gadget (pretty cheap) that uses a blank .22 shell to drive a special nail. You then use this to attach "furring strips," and then attach stuff to that, such as paneling, etc.
Doug wrote:

If you don't have dozens to put in, I'd suggest you take a look at "Tap-Con" screws, they're sold all over, and can be safer for a novice than the powder driven fasteners, also easier to remove if you ever need to.
All you need is an electric drill and the proper size masonry drill bit to suit the size you are installing. Just drill holes in the concrete and screw them in.
Goggle is your friend, just enter "Tap-Con" to learn all about them.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Safer, and more successful. Powder-driven nails into concrete walls don't work as well as into the floor. In my experience, the wall just breaks off.
There are also lead anchors that you pound into a drilled hole and screw into, and there are combo lead anchor + steel pin units that you just pound in. http://www.ramset-redhead.com/RH/hammer_prod01.asp
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:27:57 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

Unless you have a lot of patience you really need a hammer drill. Then TapCons are the hot lick for fastening anything to concrete. I also suggest hearing protection with the hammer drill (or the Bam Gun fasteners). If you have the right tools concrete is just another wall surface, tougher than most.

You got that entirely right. It is just that you want to be able to put something up, and then TAKE IT DOWN if you want to do it without leaving a cone shaped hole, or some Mondo fastener showing on the wall. Take out a TapCon, daub a bit of spackle, and it's almost invisible.
Steve
Steve B said something like:

It's worth mentioning that these masonry screws you are referring to actually tap out (as in carve) the threads needed as they are turned. As mentioned though, you must first drill a hole.
*In my experience* you should *not* use the ones which look like merely blue Philips head screws. Use the ones which have a hex cap on them and use a socket wrench: the Philips heads are just too hard to keep a Philips bit or driver in---the concrete provides too much resistance. Again, IME.
*ALSO*, be aware that if you hit a rock in your concrete your mileage will vary a *lot*. The initial drilling might be nightmarish, but will almost always work, and the screwing will have more resistance.
--
Onedoctortoanother:"Ifthisismyrectalthermometer,wherethehell\'smypen???"

wrote in message wrote

[snip]
It's easier if you use the proper drill size, then rub the screw threads with a little paraffin or soap before installation -- either style Tapcon should go in easily. Regards --
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 01:14:54 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"

Did you use the TapCon screwdriver bit or just one that seemed to fit. It does make a difference.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com said something like:

One that fit. If the tapcon is actually one of those philips that can also take a square-recess, then my comments need to be modified.
--
"It\'s easier to be terrified by an enemy you admire."
-Thufir Hawat, Mentat and Master of Assassins to House Atreides
Doug said something like:

Sorry if you got that impression. The masonry screws (tapcon) are *very* easy. It's how I'll hang *neraly anything* on concrete---really.
I really would warn against anything impact based though. I still don't believe that concrete is amenable to that hooey. :) Perhaps it's a conspiratorial plot foisted on us by the spackle companies...
--
"Gentlemen, you can\'t fight in here! This is the War Room!"

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:27:57 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

One of the problems with tapcon screws however, is that if the drill bit encounters a stone aggregate piece, it will not drill through it. and you're SOOL. Bits will only chew through the matrix between.

Not a problem with a hammer drill
46erjoe said something like:

Bah. A *lot* of perseverance and your masonry bit will eventually chisel the way through. It might be worn to a nub, but I've been able to do it, several times.
--
If I can ever figure out how, I hope that someday I\'ll
succeed in my lifetime goal of creating a signature

Maybe with a regular drill but a hammer drill with an appropriate bit will go through through the stones. You just need the right tools and techniques.

Of course, I believe that quartz changes the situation a little.
From: http://www.skidmore.edu/~jthomas/fairlysimpleexercises/rockid.html
Quartz: hardness of 7, usually clear, may be a little grayish, glassy looks like grains of glass.
Potassium Feldspar: hardness of 5 1/2 - 6 1/2, pink to light gray, two good cleavages at right angles, opaque, rectangular minerals with good cleavage.
Plagioclase: hardness of 5 1/2 - 6 1/2, gray, two good cleavages at right angles, striations on one cleavage, opaque, rectangular minerals with good cleavage and striations.
Clay: aphanitic, soft, usually gray, but can be red or green, looks muddy.
Calcite: hardness of 3, fizzes in acid.
Dolomite: hardness of 3, fizzes in acid when it is powdered. To powder the mineral, scratch it with a knife, steel nail, or other metal object.
Halite: hardness of 2, tastes salty.
Gypsum: hardness of 2, does not taste salty.
--
"Gentlemen, you can\'t fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Yes, there are concrete nails. But, they are a bugger to drive in, and a bugger to get out. And you have a very good chance of the concrete coming off, and all you end up with is a hole.
Check out TapCons. For what you want to hang, you don't have to use very long ones. Easy, tough, removable, and you won't end up with a bunch of nails sticking out here and there, or holes from trying to pull those nails out.
Steve
Don't use nails. For places where a Tapcon would be overkill, there are picture hangers designed for concrete walls that can be put in with a hammer. They look like a plastic button, with a hook from which to hang the picture, and with several very small (and sharp) brads sticking out of the plastic. You drive these small pins into the cement wall -- the trick is to drive each of the pins into the wall without bending or breaking one of the others. Removing them later is a PITA and may leave a small (but reparable) pit in the wall -- these are widely used overseas where most buildings are of concrete construction, but I believe the picture hangers are available in the US at big box home stores.
There are also picture hangers that use glue to adhere to the wall. They look like a folded bandage with a hook in the middle. I've used them many years ago, but don't trust them to hold anything heavy -- or valuable.
Regards --

JimR said something like:

Pins, nails, whatever. Am I the only one who believes that nothing driven in like a nail will work with concrete without creating a hole of shattered cement?