Putting Moth Balls under a house in crawl space

It's that time of year that mice are getting into homes. I got 3 of them in traps so far. I think I found the place they get in, and sealed it (I hope), but I was told that putting moth balls in crawl spaces, will keep the mice away. I figured I'd give it a try.
I bought several boxes of moth balls, but now I'm not sure where to put them. Do I put them in containers on the ground, lay them directly on the ground (which can get moist), put them in bags and attach the bags to the underside of the floor, or what????
--
Copyright © 2016 Painted Cow, Inc. - All text, images, and other content
of this message are the copyrighted material of Painted Cow, Inc. unless

I was told green moth balls would improve my car's gas mileage. I didn't believe that, either.
If the moth ball theory you relate had any truth to it, mouse trap makers would be outta business. They are not.
nb
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

nope, doesn't do anything but stink up the place and wastes money.
i haven't found any thing that keeps mice out other than sealing it up so they can't get in.
traps work for getting those that do manage to get in, but if you use any kind of baited trap that will act to attract even more mice in.
we had bait stations with poison cubes in them for years, but after a while i decided that those traps acted as an attractant for any surrounding areas too and it didn't get rid of the mice. the chipmunks also came along and set up homes in them at times...
so once you capture any mice and you think you've gotten rid of them leave a few seeds or crumbs around that you can check to see if they get taken or moved but don't leave baited traps around.
songbird
On 10/17/16 3:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

How are the sages of homeowners' hub supposed to reply without quoting the query? How about old coffee cans, bean cans etc. Lay the moth balls on plastic sandwich bags. There are mouse repellents available. Amazon link: http://alturl.com/e8wz3 I've used the Fresh Cab stuff the last couple winters in my pickup. I don't know if it's coincidence but the meeces have stayed out of it since I started using it.
Dean Hoffman wrote: ...

didn't do a thing for me when i tried it. still trapped mice in my car. smells better than mouse poop/pee though.
songbird