Putting in ground anchors ??????

I'm setting a trailer home. I have it on blocks, but need to put those 3 foot screw anchors into the ground. Yea, I know they just screw into the ground, and I need some sort of "handle" to screw them in (piece of pipe). But how do I get them started? Do I need to dig a small hole first, or what? Have any of you ever installed them?
By the way, I have fairly hard soil, (clay under the top soil) not just sand.
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:20:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

All you need to now is in the link:
http://www.mygreathome.com/fix-it_guide/tiedowns.htm
It states not to dig a hole for an auger anchor...

Yet that is the only way I have seen it done in Florida. (post hole digger) When I asked, they said it was just sand and in a year the dug hole would be as solid as a "screwed in" hole. If this is something like Southern Md bank run gravel (clay and rocks) you are not going to be screwing these things in. You couldn't dig in that stuff unless you had a machine and a bucket with teeth or the old fashioned pick and shovel. Plan on picking loose every shovel full of dirt.

Ok, that is a good article. But there's one problem. I have the straps that go over the roof, they are flat straps, about an inch and a quarter wide. But I need these ratcheting anchors (the 2nd and 3rd from the left in the anchor photo). No one, and I mean NO ONE sells them like that. They all have a loop or eye on the top. That's all I can find. There's no way to attach flat straps to them. I dont even know what these type (like in photo) are called. Anyone know?
Thanks
Jw
On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 05:04:33 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

A "Soil Anchor" on this page: (Texas)
http://randgsupply.com/Warehouse/SetUp/anchors.htm#SoilAnchors
For the anchors with the "eye", I've seen them installed using cable in lieu of straps. A cable clamp was used
http://www.fdsons.com/images/national/wire_cable_clamps_n248-286.jpg
On 10/27/2010 2:45 PM, Oren wrote:

2-3 telephone poles tight against each side of the trailer, and tie them together over the roof with iron-mongery and big-ass bolts and timbers that look like they were swiped from a railroad repair yard. (Like from the elevated trestles over the swamps.) After a big storm, I have seen the poles still there, but the trailer is missing, other than a little siding wrapped around the poles.
--
aem sends...

On Oct 26, 4:20pm, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I just hit them a couple of whacks with a big hammer and screw them in, my soil is similar. Lacking easy success with that, wetting the target soil with a hose helps a lot, especially with clay, catching it after a good rain is ideal.