Putting in bathroom sink faucet directly from the wall ...

We are putting in a new sink in a bathroom and I would like to hear people's opinion \ advice etc.

This sink will be a bit different from one that I have done in the past because the faucet and handle are coming directly from the wall (into a basin). For example -

I know how to do it if all the plumbing is under the sink, but what are the "gotchas" and other things when the plumbing and everything is in the wall? When you have the plumbing under the sink, you can have a valve that you can turn off the water if you want to replace some fixture etc ... where would you put that valve? In the wall with a cover to open up to reach that valve? Also, I can't imagine you would just put the faucet \ handles right up to the dry wall. Other than a back splash, what else would you do there ... maybe you do just put the faucet \ handles right up to the dry wall with a decorative cover.

Another issue - we were thinking of putting just a straight pipe from the wall ... a real rustic looking pipe. Not an actual faucet or a bent pipe but an simple brass \ copper \ bronze staright pipe coming from the wall. Someone was telling me that "code" does not allow a straight pipe and that you need a "difuser" or something like that (maybe I misheard or don't remember the right term). A faucet is basically just a pipe anyways, but they say it keeps the water flow reduced or something. I haven't heard that before, but then again, when I put in a sink before it was all just standard stuff.

Thanks Darren

Reply to
Darren

Is this on an outside wall and its a cold climate where pipes might freeze? If there is a cellar beneath you could have shutoffs there. There are also "access panels" that you can buy which will have a small door.

Oreo

Reply to
oreo123

Forget about the individual shutoffs for the faucets. Provide a shutoff for the entire bath, if practical. (Depends on the house construction/style).

The "spout" has an "aerator" screwed onto the tip. Without it, you get a very strong stream and attendant splashing. From the pic, looks like the mfr supplies it; do it his way...

The faucets come with escutcheons; whether you'll need a separate backsplash on the wall depends on the wall finish and decorating tastes.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Good point about putting the shut off valve for the whole bathroom. This bathroom is on the bottom floor so I am guessing there is a way to get at it from the crawl space. Fortunately, my "crawl" space is actually about 7' tall so I should be good to go. :)

Our spout will actually be a straight pipe that I (or someone) will make so we would need the aerator before the beginning of the spout. I am guessing something like this

could be put in the pipes in the wall and achieve the same thing that the built in ones do.

As for the escutcheons, you gave me the answer I needed most. The proper name for them. Now I can do some more searching to see if there is something out there that would fit our needs.

Thanks for your help.

Darren

Reply to
Darren