Putting heated air in a cold tire

Page 2 of 2
put [much] more than you think it will need,
and take the excess out later
marc
Painted... wrote: "Anyhow, the air coming from the house is warm, (60 to 70 deg F). When "
Oh SHEHEEZZZZ.. And I thought we were talk the temperature of exhaust out the tail end of a F-18 fighter plane here!
Just put in a couple psi more than the recommended pressure on the b-pillar door placard. No big deal, said Katy!
IIRC, and I probably don't because I was sleeping during class, I might be Boyle's Law. And it is logical if you think about it. Temperature and volume (of a gas) are proportional. Directly? Proportional. If you heat a gas the volume increases. If you cool a gas it decreases. Take a plastic soda bottle and put a finger's worth of water in the bottom. With THE LID OFF, put it in the mic for 30 to 40 seconds to get the water/air hot. The tightly apply the lid and stick it in the freezer. Same thing happens to your tire. A little different because of all the water vapor but it is to illustrate a point.
Bridges