Putting an indoor decoration outdoors

I have a 3-foot round wall "sculpture" made, I supspect, out of tin. My plan is to put it outside on the front of my house. Before I do that, I want to protect it somehow from the rain, so it won't rust and so that I won't have rusty stains dripping down from the sculpture.
Does anyone have any ideas for what I can use to coat the sculpture so that it will be completely protected from the rain?
I was thinking of some sort of clear, spray-on coating.
Suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
--

8^)~ Sue (remove the x to email)
~~~~

Check a "girl store" like Michaels.
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/home
Good Luck. -- Oren

Sorry, search "clear coat" less quotation marks.
-- Oren

Mount the whole thing on a piece of wood or plywood so that it is set away from the house. Then put a gutter on the bottom so that water drippint down the wood won't work its way back to the house. Perhaps a piece of cotton clothesline or rope at the end of the gutter will make sure the water goes down the line to the ground, instead of back to the house.
Oh, yeah. in addition, miter the bottom edge 45 degrees so that going back to the house would require the water to go uphill (which it can do somewhat -- I don't know how much). And/Or mount the wood with spacers so the whole thing is a half inch away from the house.
Then make sure all this is working befort the rust starts.
As you can tell, I wouldn't depend on the coating.

If it's really made of tin, you don't have to worry about rusty stains. Tin doesn't rust the way ferrous metals do. However, if you live in a cold climate, you will have a different problem. Tin disease. Prolonged exposure to cold temperatures causes metallic, or "white" tin to covert to powdery "gray" tin. If you leave your tin sculpture exposed to cold weather it eventually will disintegrate, and nothing you spray on will prevent that. The key temperature is 13 degrees centigrade.