Push button switch for a garage door

Trying to replace a bad switch in my electrical box. This one is in the garage, a 3 gang box with lights and also two push buttons to control the garage door.

I am trying to find another push button switch but HD or Lowes don't have them. May have to try an electrical supply house on week days...if I press the button once it opens the garage door (without having to press it while it's moving up), if in the middle of opening I press it again it will stop the door at that position. If I press it again it resumes the opening again until it is fully opened. Then I press it again it will close. The button is somehow also wired to the exterior hi-hat lights on the outside of the garage doors, as long as the doors are up those lights comes on automatically.

Is there a special name for these push button control switch that will fit into a normal 1900 box with a mud ring extension? If I see them online I might just get them on line.

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

=EF=BF=BDThe button

if they are lkow voltage they shouldnt go in a box that shares with line voltage....!!! can create shock hazard

did you know a regular doorbell button non lighted works fine, just mount it at some convenient place.

or sears and home depot have garage door switches

Reply to
hallerb

Sounds strange to me. Can you get a make and model off the switch?

Reply to
RBM

I can't be certain about your switch, but most such switches are momentary. There is nothing unique about the switch in doing the above actions, they are controlled by the door opener by a relay if I am not mistaken. At least my Genie opener works that way with a momentary switch.

The button

Reply to
Ken

This switch may be made specifically for your garage door opener. It may actually be a digital type switch that sends its signals over a single pair of wires. I suggest that you contact the garage door opener manufacturer for information.

Reply to
John Grabowski

There are a number of possible things there. There is a good chance that the switch you are looking at is a simple door bell switch. But it may not be.

It would be good if you could tell us want make model and year your garage door lift is. You should also consider going on line and see if the manufacturer has web page and likely will have information there.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

All that it takes with the garage doors I've seen to make the door do the movements indicated is a low voltage momentary contact switch. Now how the outside lights are controlled, is anyone's guess. They could be controlled from the door opener and have no direct connection to any switch. Which means the switch is just a regular low voltage momentary contact one.

The other possibility is that to control these outside lights and the door, this switch is some special device, possibly X10, that then controls the garage door opener and the outside lights.

Is this door switch using low voltage wiring that runs directly to the garage door opener or is it 120V? What does the second button do?

If the switch is low voltage, it shouldn't be in the box with 120V to begin with,

Reply to
trader4

All that it takes with the garage doors I've seen to make the door do the movements indicated is a low voltage momentary contact switch. Now how the outside lights are controlled, is anyone's guess. They could be controlled from the door opener and have no direct connection to any switch. Which means the switch is just a regular low voltage momentary contact one.

The other possibility is that to control these outside lights and the door, this switch is some special device, possibly X10, that then controls the garage door opener and the outside lights.

Is this door switch using low voltage wiring that runs directly to the garage door opener or is it 120V? What does the second button do?

If the switch is low voltage, it shouldn't be in the box with 120V to begin with,

My garage door opener controls external lights through an X10 or similar device. One button is for the lights other is for the door. A doorbell switch would work fine.

Jimmie

Reply to
Jimmie D

Hi, Just like a door bell switch.