Punching a hole in a leather belt

Buy a leather punch. Once you have one, you will be surprised how many times you use it. Nothing like the right tool for the job.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

It would take 2 seconds with a leather punch. Anyone that works with leather would likely have one. Or maybe you can find one at Home Depot or some other store and just try it out.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

A drill would give you a kind of ragged hole, not a clean punched hole. It'd work and might be okay, but if you want a clean hole a hole punch is the way to go. A shoe repair place is the right place to go.

The hole punch looks like a pliers with a spoked wheel turret on one jaw. The turret is rotated until the correct size hole punch is selected and then the hole is located and the pliers squeezed shut. The punch itself is a hollow tube.

It will take the guy 30 seconds if he's slow and has to locate the punch. Shouldn't cost more than a buck or two.

RicodJour

You are right about a drill. I have done it. The ragged hole doesn't matter tho as the first time you use that hole it smooths it out and you can't really tell without a very close look just how the hole was made.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I got a new leather belt as a belt but I need just one more hole (it's a little too loose). Can this be done by myself? I suppose not - perhaps a special tool is needed and I don't want to ruin it by trying a drill or dremel tool (tempting though...) If I let the pro do it should I take it to a tailor shop or a shoe repair place?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

LOL. Thanks. Number 4 will not work for me. I think I will go with #2 majority suggestion.

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

I would drill it. I belive that I have done this before. I dremel is probaly to fast.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

About fifteen bucks will buy you a leather punch.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You have choices.

  1. Drill it with a piece of wood over top and bottom and you will get a smooth hole
  2. Leather punch. Any leather hobbyist will have one or a gasket punch from the maintenance shop
  3. Shoemaker
  4. Eat an extra pork chop every night until the belt fits.

Number one is cheapest, number 4 is easiest.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Tue 11 Oct 2005 05:30:09p, miamicuse wrote in alt.home.repair:

If you take it to a pro, go to a shoe repair shop. A shoe repair shop may do it on the spot for free. You can also buy a reasonably inexpensive leather hole punch at most craft stores which can punch various size holes, and the results are clean and look professional.

Drills of any type will most likely leave a somewhat ragged edge on the hole.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright