Pumps in common appliances

Hi,

I'm in the process of making a DIY hot tub. It's more like a soaking tub now, because it doesn't have any jets. I've found a source of cheap jets, and would like to see if I can salvage a pump from some common household / shop / automotive appliance. The jets are recommended to be installed such that there are 4 jets per HP. So I'd like around a 2hp pump.

It's fine if I have to use a few seperate pumps, each less than 2hp. But I don't want to use 16 1/8hp pumps. I'd say 1/2hp is the minimum. Also, it's fine if they are shaft-driven or pulley-driven, I can supply electric motors.

The list I've made so far includes:

washing machine pump (probably too small) well pump sump pump pressure washer pump coolant pump (auto) lawn sprinkler pump jetski pump

Any other suggestions? Something that I might find at a local salvage yard?

Thanks.

Shamus

Reply to
aberr8te

Yup, too small.

Too slow.

Too low volume.

Helps to have the rest of the engine block.

Too powerful.

Possibly, but a pain for sure.

What's wrong with regular jacuzzi pumps? They can be had new for $100 to $150, and you don't have to mess around with belts and such. No doubt you can fine them used. Plenty of folks would just as soon have you haul away their old jacuzzi that folks lost interest in years ago. Then there's Ebay.

I'd say 1hp sounds like a lot for just four jets. I have two 1hp pumps for mine, which has something like 30 jets, and I regret getting the second pump option, as it's still far too strong, and has thrown the jets out of their housings more than once.

Pagan

Reply to
Pagan

A hot tub/spa/pool pump would just fit the bill. Keep an eye on freecycle and craigslist for your area, and you might get a used one cheap or free. They also show up frequently at my local metal recycling yard. Seals and motor bearings can be replaced.

Personally, I never use the jets in my homemade tub. I'm usually after a quiet, relaxing soak, not a noisy pounding.

After a fantastic back massage under a waterfall on clear creek in the grand canyon a couple of weeks ago, that's what I really want to add to my tub. Five minutes totally relaxed my back. It was way better than any jet I've ever used. I imagine an 8-10 foot drop with all the pump output dropping out of a foot wide chute would duplicate the effect.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Drill pumps are pretty cheap, and about the right volume. Dunno how durable they are, though.

Reply to
Goedjn

Bob,

I like the waterfall idea, I might give it a try. As long as it didn't splash too much water out of the tub.

I just purchased a Hayward 1.5 HP above-ground pool pump on eBay. An added benefit was that it has a built-in filter. I think it's more of a strainer; not a sand filter (I'm trying to decide if I need that also). I'm hoping that with that and an ionizer, I won't need much chemicals.

Reply to
aberr8te

It's most likely a cartridge filter, and should do quite well, as that is what most spas have. Don't bother with a sand filter. They aren't nearly as effective as the cartridge type, and they're more of a pain to clean.

You'll still need chemicals. I use bromine, and it works well enough. It's low maintenance and cheap.

Pagan

Reply to
Pagan

The pump probably has a strainer to protect the pump from larger particles. To properly maintain a spa, you should have a proper filter or change the water very often. Ionizer? Do you mean ozonator?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Yes, the more I look, I think it's just a strainer (to protect the impeller from leaves). Sorry about "ionizer" - I meant ozonator. I've been looking for filters on eBay, and all I see are lots of replacement cartridges (for store-bought Jacuzzi's) or very expensive sand / earth filters (around $600).

I want the plastic housing that the cartridge filters go in. There have to be cheap ones out there, because I've seen inflatable pools that include the pool, pump, and filter, all for around $50. Can I just hook a cartridge filter up to a pump, and submerse the filter in the hot tub (no enclosure)? What is really in the "guts" of the filter housing anyway?

Reply to
aberr8te

There's nothing too complex. On most models, the cartridge filter(s) are enclosed in a skimmer, with a simple door and a tray to catch larger objects. The filters themselves are sealed at one end, have threads on the other, and simply screw into the pump intake pipe.

Since your using a larger pump, it's important to use a larger filter, or you'll risk caving it in. Many above ground pool pumps also come with a filter, so sizing it shouldn't be too hard.

Pagan

Reply to
Pagan

The filters I've used are plumbed into the water line returning water from the pump to the tub. They have generally been cartridge filters with a replaceable pleated filter cartridge. Give up on Ebay and try looking at pool and spa stores for ideas. Used units are probably available locally cheaper than on Ebay. Again, try freecycle and craigslist.

Bob

Reply to
Bob