Pumping out Underground Oil Tank

All I am doing right now is looking to get the excess oil out of the tank. If I eventually decide to have it removed, the professionals I hire will be taking care of getting a permit, etc.

My thinking is that a 5 gallon oil leak is cheaper to clean up than a

500 gallon leak.
Reply to
yetanothermickey

This tank is a very tiny issue for this large property. The ONLY isssue I am concerned about is the difference between a 5 gallon oil leak and a 500 gallon oil leak. This property has structures on it that are going to be demolished by whomever buys the property. They will have to deal with lead, asbestos and whatever else lurks there. There will be a lot of earth moving, too. Having to remove a mostly empty tank will not upset any potential buyers in this case. The price of the real estate will ultimately reflect all of these issues.

Reply to
yetanothermickey

replying to willshak, GaGrammy wrote: I was told that if oil is pumped out of tank then it should be filled with sand or water to keep it from collapsing! Anyone know anything about this?

Reply to
GaGrammy

Lots of people know about it.

Water is not a very good fill choice.

Reply to
catalpa

heres why. you fail to disclose the tank, and 10 years later the property is sold again, a helpful neighbor reports to the new owner hey there used t be a tank there.

you will be on the hook for investigation of the issue, soil tests etc etc digging up the entire area.

probably cost at least 10 grand, and you will be sued...........

its not worth the risk

Reply to
bob haller

Aside from the fact that the post is ancient, what the poster questioned was why you have to disclose that a tank was once there if it has been properly removed. I'd say the answer to that is that you don't, unless your state has a law that specifically requires it,

I would think that even if you had a tank, failed to disclose it, after 10 years you may be off the hook. They do have statute of limitations for various claims. Also, to prevail, the other party would have to prove you knew about it. How lucky do they feel in spending the money to try to prove what they claim you knew 10 years ago?

Reply to
trader_4

Yes! Do what any good democrat politician would do. If caught, lie your way out of it.

Repeat after me:

"What difference at this point does it make?"

"I have no recollection of any oil tank on this property."

Reply to
Bill and Hillary

Democrats take lying to a whole new level.

Bill

as long as you have the tank properly removed with all the inspections and certifications necessary. then you might as well disclose it.

the problem is many people wouldnt do the job right and leave a environmenal hazard for a later property owner to clean up.

Reply to
bob haller