Pump works but the water doesn't move anywhere

Hi,

The pump turn on but is no water in the lines so the water doesn't move. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Vincent

Reply to
topgun

Prime it? Tom

Reply to
tom

Yes

Reply to
topgun

Did the pump cost under $150?

Reply to
Bert Byfield

The impeller is probably "spun". They thread on the end of the motor shaft and the threads can strip. This is a fairly cheap item and usually easy to replace. On a "bell end motor" there are 4 bolts that hold the bell to the part that gets plumbed into the system so you can take the motor and impeller off without disturbing the piping. While you have it apart check the ceramic seal and bearings.

Be sure the power is off ... blah blah

Reply to
gfretwell

I did it at ready and saw the impeller doesn't look bad but I don't know what look for, to know if is "spun". I have the bearings out and the gasket. Anyway, What I need to do is replece the impeller, the seal and gaskets?

Thanks,

Reply to
topgun

Any idea, I did buy it.....I bought the house 1 year ago.

Reply to
topgun

This is possibly true, but there are times you have to prime it, re-prime it. and prime it several more times. On some pumps they are a major hassle to prime. You might be able to use a small mirrror and a flashlight to see inside the hole where the pipe attaches to see if the impeller is spinning.

Here's a tip. If you can run a hose from a neighbor, use a garden hose with a female to female adaptor (or wash machine hose). Connect the hose from their house to your outdoor spigot and turn on the water. Let the air come out of all the faucets in the house to expell air. Once the pipes are full of water, you should have a good prime. A 55gallon drum of water on the back of your pickup truck can also be used in a similar manner. Just keep the frum high and attach a hose from it to your outdoor spigot. I had to do this in the past because the place where I lived has water lines from the well to the house with a downward pitch to the house. It's near impossible to prime if the pipes pitch away from the well. I always planned to dig it up and change that, but I moved before I had to deal with it. Whoever put those pipes in with the wrong pitch should have left their hands off plumbing.

Reply to
holopper4