Pulse Type Gas Forced Hot Air Heating Furnaces ?

Hello;
Will be replacing a gas, forced hot air heating furnace in a typical split level home, here in the Northeast.
Am trying to learn more about the basics, prior to starting calling in contractors for quotes.
I remember at one time the Pulse Type of furnace was quite popular. I have read about over the years some good things about them, and a slew of real horror stories.
Are they still made ?
Pros and cons for this type ?
Noise level still "bad" ?
As far as the regular gas furnaces go, Carrier and Am. Standard still the yardsticks to go by ?
Thanks, B,
Pulse? wasnt that Lennox`s lemon? Are they still made? Consumer reports just put out a 7 year survey in the Feb issue on reliability. American Standard was the top brand. Goodman the bottom.
Robert11 wrote:

with parts availability and knowledgeable repair people.

When I bought my first house, I noticed what sounded like a car idling at night and thought somebody was casing the neighborhood. While raking leaves, I noticed 2 PVC pipes on the side of my neighbor's house that sounded like a generator running (with PVC exhaust?). Turned out to be one of those pulse furnaces. While the noise does not really bother me next door across a double lot now that I know what it is, it does bother the owner of the furnace who had made various unsuccessful attempts to muffle it.
I instead enjoy good old fashioned comfortable 1-pipe steam heat.

You don't hear that often, liking the steam stuff. Congratulations!
Have you ever been to the Wall?
http://forums.invision.net/Main.cfm?CFApp=2
"The Wall" a moderated group where normal polite pros answer anybodys questions about anything regarding HVAC
Alt hvac an unmoderated bunch of PJMs cronies who tell every H.O. to east shit and in following PjM have a crap for a group

There are still a good group of techs there if you don't mind wading through the "crap". It's only a few guys over there who bug it up. It must be their egos are too big, but with a few plonks it works out ok. I actually prefer directing the HOs to this NG. And have come here to help where I can. I believe you have to be careful when giving advice on repairing electrical and gas equipment for safety reasons.
Joseph