pulling flywheel on go kart engine

do you need a special tool? i have a weak spark and i have a feeling it has something to do with the magnet. before i took it all apart, it had a spark, after i put the spring puller mechanism back together there was nothing.
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 09:09:59 -0700, fuhgettaboudit02 wrote:

Yes you need a small engine flywheel puller.
--
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007

I've had good results on mower engines by prying gently on the flywheel, just enough to move it to the end of the play of the crankshaft bearings, and tapping on the end of the shaft with a hammer. I leave the shaft end nut on but loosened until the top of it lines up with the end of the shaft to protect the threads. Remember, I said tapping, not pounding. What you want is for the impact to move the shaft just enough for the connection to loosen. The inertia of the flywheel and the play of the shaft bearings focuses the tapping on the connection between the flywheel and the shaft.
Bob
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 09:09:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I've always been able to eventually knock it off with a hammer. Get your partner to tap on the shaft while you hold it up by the flywheel. I didn't say it was easy, but if you a small rope you can do it.
My uncle had a tiller without a spark and wanted to check the coil that was under the flywheel. He had a steering wheel puller and he just drilled a couple of holes in the flywheel and installed a couple of temporary bolts and then using his steering wheel puller, it popped right off. It took all of 20 minutes. He replaced the oil soaked spark wire with spark plug wire and it fired right up.
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 09:09:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Absent a "puller" I've used a block of wood and tapped with a hammer. The wood block will reduce damage to the flywheel. It is soft and be cracked, if not careful.
Tap the flywheel upward (clock face - 12, 3 6 and 9).
Do not hammer on the crankshaft, IMHO.
With 220 grit paper to sand the magnets and the coil contact. Check for a cracked wire under the flywheel.
-- Oren
The flywheel will break WAY easier than the end of the crank. The suggestion to pry up gently on the flywheel and whack the crank is the proper method.
--
Steve Barker

"Oren" < snipped-for-privacy@home.yes.us> wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 13:18:35 -0700, Oren wrote:

I don't recommend not using a puller but you can thread the nut part way over the end of the shaft so you don't damage the thread, pull the flywheel on the side with the keyway and tap on the nut then move your hand and pull in other places. I've done this once or twice a long time ago without ill effects.

I _would_ resort to hitting the crankshaft if that was my only means of getting the flywheel off. Like a sheared/damaged key is seriously jammed or binding. If I can avoid it I do (few times necessary).
-- Oren
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:40:54 -0700, Oren wrote:

Yeh if the key is bound, there is little chance of not damaging it without a puller. But then again the crank could bend and the DIY can kiss the repair good bye.