Pull down window shade keeps breaking on the inside

I hope I can get some suggestions on a puzzling problem.

We have a window shade in the bedroom on a picture window. Its about

65" w x 72" high. I think this is at least the third that has gone bad in the rewind mechanism. Its like the wind it up spring either breaks or pulls loose from it binding.

Is this shade just too big for its own good?

My wife says its because she had me put it on the window frame "backwards". That is she says the shade is supposed to wrap over and come down. She wants it to wrap under which puts it closer to the window frame to keep out more light. I can't imagine why that would make any difference.

Is there a better shade then the stuff they sell at HD and Lowes?

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Richard

problem.

window frame

supposed to wrap over and

it closer to the

imagine why that would

Wait a minit. "She" had you put it on backwards and now "She" wants it a different way?

Well. Change it and you've solved half your problem. Besides, it should be against the window.

Reply to
Kathy

The proper way to install a roller shade is for it to come off the back side of the roller. The one closest to the glass. But speaking as someone who installs these for a living I can't see where that would make a difference.

Buying shades at Wally World, Slows or Home Cheapo sounds more likely to be your problem. Especially when you get over about 36".

Yes, there are better shades out there. You may suffer sticker shock when you price them. You can buy the regular "catch shade" like you have, the "absolute position" kind or the "clutch" model with the control chain.

Look for a dealer in your area that sells Hunter-Douglas products.

Reply to
Colbyt

If its one of those cheap "cut to fit" type Home Depot pull down vinyl shades.. I'd say yes

We had one 60"W X 36"H and we only pulled it down, gingerly, about once a week. I always had the idea it was waiting to self destruct (but it lasted 5 yrs, til we sold the house)

It doesn't

Reply to
Rudy