ptoperty lines

Page 2 of 2
on 10/15/2007 7:27 AM Lou said the following:

It's actually how small is the survey copy he is using. A 40' x 80' property would be shown as 1" x 2" at that scale.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Sounds like he is trying to find corners based on an annotated subdivision plat map, not a proper survey map.
I agree with all the others- find the existing corner pins if they are still there. If the deed specifies the corner angles (vs. just a lot number), any 2 or 3 will do. Otherwise, bring back previous surveyor to repin the corners (hopefully at a discount), or bite the bullet and pay for a new survey that refers back to a recognized permanent landmark, like a section corner or other monument that predates the subdivision.
Hey, you gotta expect stuff like this once in a while when you own land. An expensive PITA to be sure, but what can you do? I have the skill set to do it myself (having grown up carrying the transit and holding a pole), but I'm not a registered licensed surveyor, so my opinion is legally meaningless.
aem sends....
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Lou wrote:

Or... how small is the plan? Maybe it's just a location certificate, in which case all it certifies is that the house is within the boundaries.
Cheers, John
Toller wrote:

the reason i care is that my neighbor dug up some very old and full lilac bushes that gave me a great deal of privacy. now there is a big hole in what was once a 75 foot wall of green. i plan on replacing the now gone wall of green that will be indisputably on my side of the fence cj

The pole has nothing to do with the actual property line. If you and your neighbor cannot find the actual survey markers and agree that they are correct, you may be able to get a new survey that you both agree with. If you can not come to an agreement on your own, that's what the courts are for. Other than just having something to disagree and squabble about, the exact location of a property line is often not very important.
Don Young

And then there are those that can't agree on anything whether it is right or wrong. They just love to disagree.I have a fried who is that minded. Absolutely nothing is positive in his life. What a sad way to live.
Having lived thru a property line war as a kid:( My folks and neighbors really got into it spite fence included. having just driven by our old home I see my grandma must of been right, a new spiffey fence is located where she said it should be:) close to the old offenders home. their spite fence caused driveway troubles:(
In any case around here the ORIGINAL surveyor if done for YOU, will come back and flag the lines or stake them for a modest fee, a fraction of the original cost......
If its just a matter of grass cutting best to ignore issue, esclating dispute can cause much grief:(
no. get a metal detector and find the pins.

Stand in the middle of your yard and call out to the neighbor you wanna fight.

I agree with hallerb on this one. Given that you want to put up a fence and have stated that you cannot agree with your neighbor, the only solution is to get a surveyor out there. You could approach the neighbor and say that you want to be fair and make sure this is done right and ask if he would share the cost. Even if he says no, then I would get one out there. And as hallerb said, if you get the one that did the last survey, it's shouldn't cost too much. When it's done, make sure you put something permanent next to the steel stakes. Driving a 1" steel pipe deep into the ground that can't be easily pulled up is one way.
on 10/15/2007 11:24 AM snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net said the following:

If there is a building ordinance where one lives, a fence probably falls under the 'set back' requirements and cannot be put up without a recent survey. I paid for a survey when I bought my property. and then again 4 years later to put in a pool and security fence which bordered my property. I really doubt that the neighbor would want to chip in, since he cannot even agree on the property line.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Our draw a line in the sand and call-out!
-- Oren
"I didnt say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."