PTL - how long before I can finish it?

Just finished building a swingset out of PTL and plan on finishing it. This is the 'new' PTL from Home Depot that isn't green it is treated with CA- Copper Azole. Has a slight green tint to it which is probably why it is not rated for ground contact.

I don't know yet if I'm going to finish it with a deck stain/sealer or paint it. The spec from the Borg say to use latex paint.

Either way I go how long do I have to wait before I apply a top coat?

Any recommendations on what to use?

Reply to
Limp Arbor

You'll have to check with the manufacturer to be sure, but the stuff I bought to build a deck last summer said to wait at least two months. I suspect the reason is that the wood is still wet from the treatment and the paint would peel. Wet is actually an understatement--every screw I drove squeezed out a puddle. :O

Reply to
SteveBell

To me, deck does not go along with latex paint. To keep it looking good you will have to paint several times a year.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

PT ive used takes months to dry, getting a cheap moisture meter would be smart. For paint it can only have maybe 15% moisture max. Consider a transparent oil stain down the road first, for latex to really last an oil primer should be used and any moisture left will make any paint peel. Im suprised paint is recomended at all since its PT.

Reply to
ransley

When you decide get your products and advise from a Paint only store, not HD, to many things can go wrong a pro store will help you avoid. If it was me, in months after I knew it was dry, id get a cheap 15$ pump garden sprayer and spray it with Cabots oil stain in 10 minutes. Or you might spend days priming and painting with a brush.

Reply to
ransley

I do my dock with a thick nap roller and a long handle. It goes real fast.

Reply to
gfretwell

I agree..Cabots Semi Transparent Stain or clear waterproofing (NOT THOMPSON'S )is what I'd do..Paint and PT decks don't play well together...IMHO....Wait a couple of months before doing anything and don't do it when the sun is baking the deck....

Reply to
benick