Psycho raccoons rape, pillage, kill

Well, maybe not rape, but this Washington state masked gang HAS killed almost a dozen cats and attacked dogs and humans.
The pack is lead by "one really big bad dude... a monster... They are in command." The article reads like one has to step over the bodies littering the area.
Various solutions have been tried: trapping, dogs, negotiation, trading territory for peace, UN resolutions. Nothing has worked. Strangely, no one in the article has suggested using old double-barreled Betsy to blow their furry butts to animal kingdom come.
<http://www.theolympian.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060821/NEWS/608210327
We have racoons too. Wish we had more to rid the neighborhood feral cats, vermin, and excess number of domesticated ducks along our waterfront. To keep our cat alive, we bring her in a night and feed her inside. The dog's food is not left outside either. During the day, not a problem. Raccoons adapt to human areas because food is available, or because humans have made unavailable what food is left in the wild. A pack of dogs might work, but racoons are capable of handling a dog much bigger than themselves.
HeyBub wrote:

I heard that a good air rifle does a splendid job. By good I mean a 1,000 fps rifle.

Just get a silenced .22 semi auto rim fire.
wrote:

27>

Better have the required Federal(and state) tax documents for that silencer.(suppressor)
(in the USofA)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

there is no reason for that extravagant stuff for dispatching raccoons, sorry. A good air rifle is just as effective.
Ignoramus18055 wrote:

If you have an air rifle. If not, a .22 using subsonic ammo is no louder than a pellet gun and very effective. A shot to the forehead of a deer needing an attitude adjustment worked great for me. If you're worried about too much power, use CB ammo - no powder, just the primer.

Sure. I was just pointing out that the extravaganza with silencers belongs to fiction novels, there is no need for it for such a low risk application. By the way, shooting from inside home muffles the sounds quite well.

Raccoons splatter.
Ask me how I know.
-Frank
--
Here\'s some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com /
Frank Warner wrote:

Ok guys, hold on to your Budweiser. First of all in an urban environment it's illegal to shoot wildlife with an airgun, 22, or whatever arsenal of weaponry you're hiding in the basement. Second, yes, we had a neighbor with a racoon living in the attic for awhile, until we closed off it's entrance. Another neighbor keeps complaining about vermin in her property. Ironically, our house is on the path from the water to each of these properties, and we have no problems. Why? We don't have broken down siding on the house nor piles of crap were animals would like to nest. Clean up, clear out the junk, fix the house, and stop feeding the critters, and I'm certain you won't have problems. Believe me, having the racoons clearing out the feral cats isn't all bad. It allows more song birds to sing, nest, and eat insects around your property, unless you don't like song birds putting nests in your trees either.
Bob wrote:

Alan wrote:

In some parts of the country it's illegal to do pretty much anything. The net effect is a contempt for the lawmakers. It's immoral to make or enforce unjust laws.

And possibly do nothing more than piss off the critter...
Yes, it's happened to me.
call animal control in your area.. [Raccoons can have rabies] or try
http://www.pestproducts.com/images/52836racdd.jpg
[they especially like marshmallows for bait -once caught, then call animal control if they wouldnt come out before]
The different types of damage which raccoons are capable of are almost too numerous to mention. In urban environments, raccoons are more than capable of finding homes in uncapped chimneys. tearing off shingles or fascia in order to gain entrance to an attic or wall void, tearing up lawns in search for grubs and earthworms, destroying gardens, and upsetting and eating the contents of garbage cans. In attics and wall voids, the build-up of raccoon feces and urine can constitute health hazards to the homeowner. In more rural environments, raccoons can be highly destructive in and around poultry barns
eyBub wrote:

An animal rescue guy once told me that half of the racoons in my area are infected with distemper. FWIW.
Bob
Actually my last house was in a more rustic area and we were feeding a couple of gentle neighborhood cats outside. Soon we were also feeding raccoons and opossoms and then their families. They all had to come up about 8 steps to a patio to eat and they would also pass each other without growling. Unfortunately, rabies became a problem in the area and we officially adopted the 2 cats, got them shots and made them indoor cats (that was interesting) and the outside dinners came to an end.

We've been that route too, feeding the animals and then withdrawing the food for fear of wild animals becoming aggressive. Animal control officers aren't usually trained biologists and therefore aren't able to make conclusions about the health of animal populations, but it's true that animals that come into contact with humans are often sick. Those not in contact with humans are healthy.
As for the gun comment, in Stockton, CA, the rather rough town where I live, has many Bud fans who are armed to the teeth, and we routinely learn about how some yoyo who discharged his gun in a self destructive way. Bullet missed racoon and flies through a wall to lodge in his child watching TV, and then 991 is dialed. Odds are greater that the wife will use the revolver in the nightstand drawer to stop her husband than to stop a masked bandit. There are reasons why discharge of firearms in the city remains illegal in most parts of the country. It's not a good way to go.
Animal control will provide cages for free to trap the animal. Raccoons are tricky to lure into the cage though. So, have patience, figure out a way to trap the offender, and send him to jail.