psi on carpet / flooring

I've got a large TV that weighs 160 pounds. The table I'm using for it has 4 legs, each about 1 sqr inch of area.
So, these legs will each have 40 psi on them. Any easy methods decreasing this psi?
I already have rubber coasters under the legs, has anybody come up with a better way of spreading the pressure?
Thanks

Small metal plates? The plates should deflect slightly to spread the load over their full area.
Wayne
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:15:16 GMT, Wayne Whitney

Why?

How about small tiles, the 4-and-whatever-fraction squares you can buy individually at Home Despot or Lowe's?

Yeh, that's what I tried and it actually worked - I was afraid they would just crack, but they held up.

My TV is 185 pounds and I built a stand that is another 50 pounds or so. Check your other furniture and you'll find it is not that big a deal. Only wany it to add larger feet of some sort, or larger pads. as you already did. Personally, I prefer casters tor glides to make it easier to move the table for cleaning.

The PSI isn't a problem- a women in spike heels easily exceeds that. (Back when female tourists wore heels, historical sites with wood floors sometimes passed out slippers or heel pads when they noticed sharp heels walking in.) In a carpeted room, crushing the carpet and pad is a problem. Those dents from a long-term crush just don't wanna come out. They sell coasters with fingers on the bottom for that, but I've never tried them, because I also wanna be able to move the stuff as needed to work on wires, blow out dust bunnies, etc.
aem sends....

You need the TV tied to a safety chain/cord anchored to the wall studs. Several hundred kids have been killed each year by falling TVs.

To hell with the kids - if they can't move fast that's just Darwinism in action..
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 13:12:41 -0500, deke wrote:

When you're done doing this, teach your kids braille. Thousands go blind every year because TV IS BAD FOR YOUR EYES!!!

It's even worse for the brain.

True. A big TV falling on you can cause a severe head injury. The broken glass fragments can be bad for your eyes.

Well, it's not rocket science, is it? I assume you are trying to prevent the carpet from crushing too much? 40 psi is well within the bearing capability of most construction. Consider the weight on a woman's high heels...
You can put the table on a couple of 1x4 boards, or lay a sheet of plywood down, or get a different stand...

Yeah, but women in high heels don't stand in the same exact spot for years on end.

Jack S wrote:

I assume you are trying not to crush the carpet. Take the TV off the table. Drill a fine guide hole in the bottom of each leg. Drive in a finish nail and leave about 1/2 to 3/4" protruding. Put the table back in place, make sure it is level. Put the TV on the table. The nails should rest on the solid floor and keep the wood bottom of the feet off the carpet.
Jack S wrote:

To follow up on Norminn's good suggestion, if you look around your will find commercial versions of it. While that should do what you want, frankly I don't worry. I have a grand piano sitting in my living room with out anything special to protect the carpet. The carpet under the old upright (almost as heavy) did may indents in the carpet, but they disappeared in less than six months.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit