PS33 Homelite Chainsaw has on chain brake

I was surprised to find that my chainsaw, a Homelite PS33, does not have a chain brake. Homelite confirmed that this model does not have a chain brake. Is this typical of a low cost chainsaw? I would think in this day and age that such a safety feature would be government mandated.

alt.home.repair

Reply to
eganders

I bought a PS-33 five or so years ago. Rebuilt one from BJ's Wholesale Club. Can't remember, paid about $140 for it. I've been very pleased with it.

Right; no chain brake. I didn't really want one either.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Please don't give them ideas. We are already over regulated.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I hear you, but isn't a chain brake a really good idea, or is it just something that would give false confidence? Sounds like a real good idea on the surface. I was not even thinking about one until I realized that my saw was one of the few that did not have one.

Reply to
eganders

Probably false confidence. Like the low kickback chain that allows you to operate unsafely.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, Of course. Nothing is 100%. Use the thing between our two ears.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I put many hours (at least one day/week when weather permits) using one. I would not run a saw that doesn't have an operating one. And that is from someone who ran saws for 20 years before I got my first saw _with_ a brake on it.

I consider people who speak against chain brakes in the same category as those who refuse to wear seat belts.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I think I would agree. I am real nervous now. Based on the scary way the instruction manuals are written for chain saws, I would compare the chain brake to at least the use of seat belts, maybe even a higher level. Does the brake stop the chain fast enough that the chain would be stopped, during kickback, before the chain would hit your body?

Reply to
eganders

..

Yes, if you are holding the saw properly...and assuming the brake is in operational order.

On kickback, there is no way anyone has reflexes fast enough to stop one. It is possible to 'stiff arm' a saw such that it will only kick up a bit but that stance is not one that can be sustained very long.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I'm trying really hard not to have a chain kick back, and end up between my ears.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's why you stay out of line of the saw. They put the blade to the far right, for a reason. And it's not cause liberals suck. Well, they do, but that's not why the saw blade.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I see you don't run saws much.

Harry K