Pruning shears

I just bought some pruning shears today at a local nursery, that I have done business with for many years, for what I thought was a lot of money; about $50.
The first thing was the force required on the handles to enable the release of the safety latch required so much pressure on the handles that they were deflecting.
Secondly, after only a couple small, about 1/4" dia., branches were pruned the return spring couldn't return the handles to the open position.
Third, the package said the shears could handle up to 1" dia. branches, but the force required to trim 1/2" or 3/4" branches took two hands. No way they could handle a 1" dia. branch.
As the person rang up the sale she said "you'll have these for the rest of your life." She will be right if I die on my way back to that nursery tomorrow to return them. They are a piece of shit!
Who makes a quality pruning shear?
On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 9:25:34 PM UTC-6, Gordon Shumway wrote:

certainly understand your frustration with the ones you purchased.

Corona are pretty decent

They like most others must have outsourced because I have some older Corona hand and loping shears as well as a pole saw that are excellent. I guess in pursuit of the homeowner market they have cut corners. The reason I got them was a friend that runs a landscaping business used ONLY Corona an d swears by them

It's too bad that the majority are more concerned with price than quality. The cheaper products usually cost more than the quality product over time.
On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 21:24:44 -0600, Gordon Shumway

Fiscars and if it ever breaks or just goes bad, they will send you a new one for free.
I have these and they are great.
http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Gardening-and-Yard-Care/Pruning-Shears/Ratchet-Pruner-6689

+1
On 11/06/2015 05:14 AM, Robert Green wrote:

I don't have that model but the ones I do have work great. I also have a Fiskars ax, hatchet, and let handed scissors. Some of their products don't have the traditional appearance but when it comes to cutting stuff that's my go to brand.
<stuff snipped>

I bought a number of different Fiskar products and have been happy with all of them. They make scissors with very large finger holes that are much easier for arthritics to use than normal scissors are. Made from real stainless steel and not stuff that begins to show oxidation damage a week after their first use.
--
Bobby G.

+1 I like Fiskars stuff.
--
Tekkie

On 11/5/2015 10:24 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Fiskers
On 11/5/2015 10:24 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

I'll share your disappointment. Fifty bucks for a piece of junk. I've not bought pruning shears lately, so can't advise. I'd also take them back for refund. That's no fun, at all.

Felco - you can buy replacement parts after many years of use.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/page.aspx?pE668&cat=2,42706,40718&ap=1
Also the _hand-size_ and _left-handed vs right handed_ can be critical in use. By-pass vs anvil also a consideration.
Lowe is another brand.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/page.aspx?pi501&cat=2,42706,40718&ap=1
John T.
--- ---
Gordon Shumway wrote:

We have telescopic pole saw too. And chain saw for some big job.....
On 11/05/2015 10:24 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Harbor Freight
On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 10:25:34 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Just a couple of pruning tips, which you may already know, but I'll share for the benefit of all:
1 - When using bypass pruners, always keep the flat, wide blade on the "good side" of the cut - the part of the plant that you want to keep. This will results in a cleaner cut, with the ragged cut being on the discarded side.
2 - The very last bud on the tip of a stem is the "boss". This bud sends a chemical down the stem, inhibiting growth from the buds further down the stem. Many times the interior of a plant or bush can be filled in by simply cutting off the very tip of the stem. The "inner" buds will begin to grow.
On 11/06/2015 09:10 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You need to be more selective with some species. With some if there isn't an existing branch about a third of the diameter of the one you're cutting the whole branch will die back. I've got a flowering crab that in previous years was 'pruned' by chopping off branches that were in someone's way. I've flagged the dead wood and will take it out this winter when the tree is dormant as well as pruning a lot of the lower growth.
I don't want to take too much out since it's a nice place to hang out with the hummingbirds on a hot day but mowing is getting to be awkward.