Protruding Electrical Boxes

I have some electrical boxes for outlets and switches that were not installed flush with the wall. Therefore the covers do not lay flat, and there are gaps between the plate and the wall.

Short of having the boxes replaced and installed correctly, is there an easier fix? Maybe switch plates with deeper lips that would flush against the wall? I have yet to fund these.

TIA

Reply to
Jerry

Hit them with a grinder?

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Well, it ain't exactly an approved method, but I have had luck with using a BFH on them, if the box was side-nailed into the stud. (Nails will be visible inside box.) Turn off power, remove device, hold a block of hardwood over box to ensure even impact, and whack it solidly a time or two. This will not work on modern plastic boxes with the angled ears, or the style that has a riveted tab over front of stud. If there is any slop in the hole, a rap on the front will push the box back to the far edge of the hole.

Don't get ridiculous with the hammer- if it doesn't move with a couple raps, it isn't going to.

They do sell oversize plates, and a different style of plate (like the round-cornered metal ones) may be slightly deeper. If the boxes are really sticking out, a grinder may be only answer, short of drywall work or a kludge like adding a decorative plate under the cover plate.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

BFH? Bitch From Hell? LOL

Reply to
Jerry

Different methods depending upon the type of box. Plastic bang on boxes can easily be ground flush as Speedy suggested, or a screw through the side of the box into the adjacent stud will also work. Steel bracket bang on boxes can often be bent back into the wall, especially "1900" boxes, and bang on gem boxes can be screwed to the stud through a small hole within the box

Reply to
RBM

Big F***in' Hammer

Reply to
Doug Miller

Mulberry makes deep wall plates for this problem. They have a 9/16" version and a 3/8" version. You will most likely have to order these through an electrical supply company. I've never seen these as a stock item. Go to a supply company and ask to see their Mulberry Catalog Section "A".

A one gang toggle 3/8" white is Mulberry #86821. A one gang duplex receptacle 3/8" white is #86822.

Reply to
John Grabowski

If the protrusion is small, it may be possible to use a Dremel tool and carve out the back of the plate a little where it hits the box.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young