Protective Coat for newly bought dining table

Is there some reason you don't want to call the manufacturer? Unless you live in some magical world where retail help has remarkable product knowledge, you can't trust the dealer for these questions. *Maybe* if it's Ethan Allen, you might find someone who knows these things, but still not likely.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

To get as good a finish as you have now is not simple, you have a perfect dust free finish, I have alot of wood finishing experiance and would not consider my recoat to be as good as the original. unless I spent maybe 6 - 8 hrs on it. The other concern is some products you can get bonding or even chemical reactions on newer finishes that have not cured completly. Once I had that issue on a product change, the solution was wait 4-6 months. You may be lucky you may not but complete cleaning and dulling of the old finish without going through it are a few requirements.

Reply to
m Ransley

I agree, but this guy still seems hell-bent on ruining his table, so I thought I'd distract him by mentioning window coverings.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yeah, window coverings are good.

They keep folks from spying on neighbors, too!

Reply to
Banty

Hi. I sell furniture, and have had this question come up before. For this type of furniture (veneered, made in China) the best thing is a damp rag. Not too damp. Don't fool around with the surface. At some point it won't look brand new anymore (just like your house, your car, your favorite shirt, etc.). Furniture ages just like everything else, there's not much you can do about it except treat your furniture with respect and care.

mrsgator88

It wouldn't have helped.

mrsgator88

Its a veneer over pressed wood with a sprayed finish on top. If it has legs, they're solid wood. If it has a pedestal base, its veneer over pressed wood, with solid wood trim.

Get a proper set of table pads, from McKay or Ohio TP. This will be much better and much more effective than whatever chemicals you're looking to douse this table in.

mrsgator88

So true.

For some reason that seems to be a part of our culture, most people are embarrased to say "I don't know". If you ask them a question and they don't know the answer, instead of saying "I don't know" they'll make something up. Especially if the question is one they ought to be informed about (like information about a product they just sold you).

Reply to
Ether Jones

A friend of mine is a self employed sales trainer. He does work for clients we're all familiar with. Over the past couple of years, though, the clients have asked him to do something more basic: Teach sales staff how to learn. I thought that was something people were supposed to know by the time they graduated from high school. Silly me.

Back in October, he picked out a Harmon Kardon receiver, called a bunch of Circuit City stores, and asked some basic questions about the unit. Half the answers he got were wrong (lies or mistakes - who cares which?). A few "experts" told him their stores didn't carry Harmon Kardon. Amazing. It's not just Circuit City, either. He gets the same nonsense from other companies, too. It's definitely not just Circuit City.

When he's on site running classes, he gets looks of disbelief when he says it's possible to tell a customer "I don't know. But, if it's OK to call you back in a few minutes, I'll get the information for you". We worked together with 5 other guys at a locally owned stereo store, and we had no trouble doing that. The customers respected the practice, and came to the store & made purchases about as often as when we DID have answers instantly.

I attribute the problem to television & video games, but I can't prove my theory. I think programming & games move too fast and are too fragmented, and train the mind to think that real life is the same. If you don't know the answer to a question, the question ceases to exist 30 seconds later. And, the customer on the phone also ceases to exist. Another customer will exist momentarily, like a commercial or the next villain that appears from behind a steel door in a video game. The sad thing is that a lot of customers are OK with this. They continue to patronize places that treat them this way, and make no effort to find out if there are smaller, locally owned dealers who place value on product knowledge. So, people get what they deserve for being lazy.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Ok.. Thanks all for your help..

I did call the showroom and the manufacturer, and they said that I should apply a non-wax finish to the top of the table but they didn't know (really) how to maintain the legs, and that I should unscrew one of the legs and take it to my local hardware store and ask them what it is..

But I'm guessing from the previous posts that the solid black painted legs are solid wood, and the top is veneer over pressed wood..

Thanks

Reply to
User