Protective Coat for newly bought dining table

Page 1 of 2
Hi.. I have an oak dining table that I recently bought (new) and wanted to know what kind of finishing / paint / material I could apply to it (coat it with) so that it will look the same in about a few years or more as it does now. This could be something that I spray on or paint on with a brush..
Thanks in advance for your suggestions..

What's it got now? Totally bare, unfinished wood, or other?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

No.. It's finished now (It's from Ashley Furniture : http://www.ashleyfurniture.com )
But I don't know what they have applied on it, or what would be best for it now..
Thanks

Probably nothing. Our Pennington Pine dining room table is 30 years old. Our kitchen table is 25 years old. They are used daily and nothing has ever been applied to them. They are still in fantastic shape. Couple of small dings from stuff dropped over the years, but many meals served, pasta rolled out, used for the mixer at time, meat grinder, etc.
If you are concerned, check with your dealer or contact Ashley through their web site.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Ok.. Thanks..
I did have a Cherry dining table (with chairs) from Levitz, and after a while the paint / finishing on the chairs started fading after about 6 years of normal usage (no pets or kids) , and there was a noticeable change in color. The top of the dining table itself was fine, (Since it was covered with a tablecloth) but I wish I had put some kind of protective coating on it..
wrote in message

Is the table in a spot where sun through the window hits it?
Parts of it are, parts are not..
It's near a window that has a mini-blind on it, but depending on the time of day, it's either open or closed.. (I'm at work during the day)
Thanks
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

If you go to www.jcpenney.com and poke around their window covering section, you'll notice that some products are designed to block UV light, "to protect the colors of furniture and carpets". This is a clue. There's only so much you can do to the furniture to protect it from certain things, like sunlight. You *could* apply a marine-grade finish that's better at filtering UV, but you'd still have to USE YOUR TELEPHONE to call the furniture manufacturer first. Have you called them yet?
wrote in message

To get as good a finish as you have now is not simple, you have a perfect dust free finish, I have alot of wood finishing experiance and would not consider my recoat to be as good as the original. unless I spent maybe 6 - 8 hrs on it. The other concern is some products you can get bonding or even chemical reactions on newer finishes that have not cured completly. Once I had that issue on a product change, the solution was wait 4-6 months. You may be lucky you may not but complete cleaning and dulling of the old finish without going through it are a few requirements.

I agree, but this guy still seems hell-bent on ruining his table, so I thought I'd distract him by mentioning window coverings.

Yeah, window coverings are good.
They keep folks from spying on neighbors, too!

It wouldn't have helped.

This table was free, right? You paid nothing for it?
WTF are you asking us for? Somewhere in your house is a device with 12 pushbuttons labeled 1-9, plus zero, # and *. It's called a telephone. You get someone's phone number from the phone book, web site, catalogs, etc.* Then, using the phone, you push the buttons which match that number. You'll hear a voice on the other end and you can talk to them. Call the manufacturer!
*Sometimes people will tell you their phone number, and you can write it down on paper, using a pen or other writing instrument.
On Mon 29 May 2006 08:54:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it JoeSpareBedroom?

Joe, plase *spare* us!
Plonk!!!
--
Wayne Boatwright @@
_____________________
"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

You don't get it, do you? The guy's got the web site address of the manufacturer.
Analogy: A teenager's sitting on the couch with a world atlas right next to her. She says she needs to know where Australia is, but can't seem to find it.
User wrote:

The website says that they have touchup pens for "some products" available through dealers. Might be a close match if you get a nasty dent or scratch and have to repair it. Do you know whether it is solid or veneer? Dealer might know finish, but likely sprayed lacquer. I sure wouldn't put another finish on a brand new table; might as well buy used. You don't say what intended use will be - every-day meals, only special occasion, kids rolling out play doh and cookies, etc. For everyday or heavy use, I would put a plastic cover with cloth under it because plastic directly on the finish can cause it to darken or yellow.
I had an antique oak veneer table that for years was the only dining table. All kitchen work and kids painting and crafts were done on that table. Covered with nice table cloth for company. When it got too scratched, I just stripped the top and put on a couple of coats of polyurethane. No stain, but it was a nice medium brown. Took years of use and abuse, and made for lots of good memories. Seated eight.
If it is solid oak, it will be hard to do harm. I use floor tiles, with a dab of clear silicone caulk under each corner, for hot dishes or stuff that scratches. A couple of coats of polyurethane will probably make it so you can spill and wipe it off without much risk of damage.
Norminn wrote:

Thanks.. I plan to call the dealer / showroom today and find out what kind of finish it is (solid / veneer / sprayed laquer) now that I know what the different types of finish are..
It's intended use is going to be everyday use for all meals, and also for kids to play on it sometimes, (no play-doh though, have a separate kids table for that) I plan to cover the top with a cloth and then plastic, but I guess I could apply the polyutherane to the legs, and also the chairs (or will this depend on the type of finish again ? )
Thanks

Is there some reason you don't want to call the manufacturer? Unless you live in some magical world where retail help has remarkable product knowledge, you can't trust the dealer for these questions. *Maybe* if it's Ethan Allen, you might find someone who knows these things, but still not likely.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

So true.
For some reason that seems to be a part of our culture, most people are embarrased to say "I don't know". If you ask them a question and they don't know the answer, instead of saying "I don't know" they'll make something up. Especially if the question is one they ought to be informed about (like information about a product they just sold you).

A friend of mine is a self employed sales trainer. He does work for clients we're all familiar with. Over the past couple of years, though, the clients have asked him to do something more basic: Teach sales staff how to learn. I thought that was something people were supposed to know by the time they graduated from high school. Silly me.
Back in October, he picked out a Harmon Kardon receiver, called a bunch of Circuit City stores, and asked some basic questions about the unit. Half the answers he got were wrong (lies or mistakes - who cares which?). A few "experts" told him their stores didn't carry Harmon Kardon. Amazing. It's not just Circuit City, either. He gets the same nonsense from other companies, too. It's definitely not just Circuit City.
When he's on site running classes, he gets looks of disbelief when he says it's possible to tell a customer "I don't know. But, if it's OK to call you back in a few minutes, I'll get the information for you". We worked together with 5 other guys at a locally owned stereo store, and we had no trouble doing that. The customers respected the practice, and came to the store & made purchases about as often as when we DID have answers instantly.
I attribute the problem to television & video games, but I can't prove my theory. I think programming & games move too fast and are too fragmented, and train the mind to think that real life is the same. If you don't know the answer to a question, the question ceases to exist 30 seconds later. And, the customer on the phone also ceases to exist. Another customer will exist momentarily, like a commercial or the next villain that appears from behind a steel door in a video game. The sad thing is that a lot of customers are OK with this. They continue to patronize places that treat them this way, and make no effort to find out if there are smaller, locally owned dealers who place value on product knowledge. So, people get what they deserve for being lazy.