Protecting shingle overhang?

Page 2 of 2

Wrap and tie old carpet around the each of the top 2 rails of the ladder

That might help prevent paint scuffing but won't protect the shingles.
Dave,

Before I installed gutters on our house, I would screw a 2x4 to the fascia board. This let me lean the ladder against the roof edge without damaging the shingles or the metal drip edge.
Anthony